Chapter 7: What is Freedom?

After the incident with Master Bai, everyone knew who I was and begin to call me Miss Lan instead of Little Lan. I was disappointed that people at Fa Port changed their attitude and kept a proper distance from me. Li had explained that it could not be helped since I was the young granddaughter of Master Fa He Long.

I was given new blue robe to wear which distinguish me from the average worker. The black slash around my waist even held the family emblem of the phoenix bird - letting everyone know that I was the young miss of the Fa Family. It was uncomfortable to have the people I had worked with for over a year to suddenly bow their head. Still, it doesn't matter if they changed the way they greet me, I would not. Everyone had treated me well without caring for my name, so I would not change my attitude toward them.

"Miss Lan, please be careful, the horse is wild"

Ever since I officially owned Yun, I had asked that the horse trainer moved Yun out of the solitary stall and place the horse closer to the front where he could feel the sun and wind. At first the horse nearly broke down the short stall door, but the workers managed to bolt it down before it completely shattered. I had been afraid that Yun would hurt himself more and more as each day passes by. Fortunately, after several weeks, the horse calmed. On the other hand, I continued to visit Yun with the tray of water and food each day. But every time I do, he would kick the tray back at me, purposely covering me with the food and water.

"Miss Lan!"

Each time, the workers would try to pull me away but I persisted in giving the stubborn horse his food. Usually, Yun would accept it after the second or third time. I let the horse vent its anger on me since I knew it demanded freedom - something that I couldn't give. At least not until I was sure the horse was capable to live on its own in the wilds without his sight. Each time several horse trainers had to guide Yun out the stall in ropes, wanting the horse to trust them so that they could guide him through the unknown valley. It was difficult for me to watch because each time Yun resist, the trainers were forced to tightened their hold on the ropes. The trainers all knew how I felt about hurting the blind horse but if they didn't tighten the binds, the horse would run. I did not want Yun hit something, hurt someone, or worst, jump off the cliff. The Jing Provinces was between 2 valleys and surrounded by mountains, the blind horse will not survive in the wilds unless it is familiar with it.

 Then one day while the trainers were pulling Yun out of his stalls, one of the men slipped and the horse took off. Everyone shouted with panic while I chased after Yun. To my horror, the horse ran blindly off the dock and fell into the sea. Before I could think, I jumped into the water and begin to pull at the reins around Yun's neck. But the horse was scared and thrashes in the water, making it more difficult for me to grab hold of him. Moreover, my small body couldn't handle the weight of the horse as he was trashing and kicking. I could hear people shouting my name but I gripped on to the reins, refusing to let go of Yun.

"Yun!" I screamed out - my voice echoed loudly across the sea. "Stop pushing me away or you will die!"

As if the horse understood me and heard my desperate pleading, he stopped trying to get me off his back. Immediately, I shouted for people to help get Yun out of the water. Several men jumped down from the dock and a group of people begin to lift the horse with me on his back. Completely wet and exhausted, I got off Yun and grabbed his head, pressing my face against his nose while staring into his sightless eyes.

"You don't have to like me, please let me help you get use to the wilds" I spoke sadly - my voice was raspy. "Once you're able, I swear I will not stop you from leaving."

No one said a word as they watched me spoke to the scarily calmed and still horse.

"Yun" I petted his cold wet nose. "You want freedom, but what is freedom when you are not able to live it... come, go back to your stable"

I took the reins and pulled him along. I was too exhausted to realize the shock in people face as they watched the horse obediently followed along beside me. I didn't know that after that moment, words spread about me taming the beautiful blind white horse.

"You've acted reckless today Wei Lan"

I brought back to the Fa Mansion as soon as Yun was back in his stable. Facing my grandfather, I could see that he was both worried and upset. I had put myself in danger and nearly killed myself, so I didn't dare to speak while waiting for my grandfather's punishment.

"Since you have nothing to say, you understood the gravity of what could have happened" He Long sighed softly. "You are confined to your living quarter for the next month. You are not allowed to step one foot out of the Fa Mansion, understand?"

"Yes grandfather"

Then Li lead me back to Orchid Quarter.

"Master Fa heart nearly stopped when he heard what happened, young miss" Li was trying to console me as we walked down the quiet corridors. "Please do not think this as a punishment; Master only wants you to rest properly"

"I understand this well, thank you Li"

I stayed in the Fa Mansion without complaints. I spent the month in confinement continuing with my studies and reading. Although I was punished, grandfather comes often to have tea and meals with me. That was enough for me to be happy.