Chapter 8: Fa Min

After the confinement, I was allowed to return to the port.

"What's going on?" Li called out.

It was another usual day where Li escorted me in the small carriage. I had been reading when the carriage came to a sudden stop. There was loud commotion outside the carriage. Soon, I realized that there were bandits outside demanding everyone to get out the carriage and leave all valuables. I never thought that grandfather land would actually have bandits - and to be robbed in broad daylight is surprising.

"How dare you rob from Master Fa's?"

It had only been the driver, Li, and me. We were all clearly not capable of fighting against 5 bigger men. But Li did not coward toward the bandits while the driver purposely stood in front of me as if protecting me from the views of the bandits. Unfortunately, one of the men eyes fell on me.

"Boss, that child is wearing the Fa's emblem"

Instantly, the driver and Li pushed me further back behind them. I knew gravely that I've been marked. When the same man suggested that they hold me for ransom, I felt anger in my heart. Because I looked weak, I was easily targeted.

"Grab the child!"

"Don't you dare!" Li shouted.

But Li's shout was met with smirks while the bandits stalked toward us.

"Run miss" The driver whispered fiercely.

But before I could respond, hooves of horses and shouts were heard. I saw the bandits eyes widened. Before they could run, we were surrounded by over a dozen men sitting above large powerful horses. My eyes went to the young boy in the front center of the group. The boy looked no more than 14 years old wearing a royal blue robe with a black slash tied at his waist. His long hair was tied back with two small braids at the side. His good looks was obvious but what had me curious was the mischievous sparkles in his dark eyes.

"Young master Fa Min" Li and the drive both bowed their head low with respect.

Because Fa Min did resembles grandfather, I was not surprised when Li called out young master. Plus, I had long noticed the phoenix emblem on his black slash.

"Tie them up" I watched as the young boy ordered the men behind him. "Take them back to the estate. I'm sure grandfather will want to handle them personally"

Then he jumped down his horse and walked toward me with a grin on his face.When he stood in front of me, I felt small. He was only a few years older than me but the top of my head barely reached his shoulders.

"You must be Wei Lan mei-mei" Min smiled at me. "Father and I heard a lot about you at Fa Port. Is that white horse really yours?"

I knew he was talking about Yun, so I nodded softly.

"I'm Fa Min, your older cousin. You can call me Min-ge"

I looked up at him for a minute. When his smiles did not falter under my stare, I bowed my head softly in respect.

"Min-ge, thank you for saving Wei Lan"

When Min gave a soft laugh, I looked back up at him.

"You're just like they say, really cute"

I was startled. It was the second time I heard someone said that. The first time, I felt like that Bai Sun was making fun of me, but with his older boy, I felt he was being blunt.

"Come, we should get back. Grandfather would want to make sure you're unharmed"

I agreed so I head back into the carriage. Inside the carriage, I listened as Li explained to me that Min was my older cousin - his father Fa Zedong is my grandfather only nephew. Min's grandfather was my grandfather older brother whom died young during the first war. After his brother died, his wife gave birth to a son and died during childbirth. My grandfather raised his infant nephew like a son while my mother considered Fa Zedong as her older brother. I remember my mother spoke fondly of her brother. But because I never met the man, I don't have any impression of him. But then again, in my previous life, I never stepped foot out of the Qin Province. I was locked and kept in a small world - knowing only what my uncle taught me.

Because of my foolishness, I fail to realize I had another family other than the Zhou.