Chapter 31: Fish or Bird?

"Mei-mei, you won again"

As soon as I entered the tent, I was greeted by Min's usual smiles.

"We were so worried that you couldn't paint"

"Wei Lan has worried grandfather" I gave a soft smile.

"You look tired child" Grandfather voice his concern. "Have you been sleeping well?"

"Wei Lan is well... Again, Wei Lan has caused unnecessary worries toward grandfather" I bowed my head softly. "Please forgive me..."

Hearing grandfather soft sigh, I felt guilty knowing well the old man was truly concerned.

"Why did you paint such a sad scene?"

I was startled when I saw the familiar older man. Before I could respond, 3 judges suddenly entered the Fa Family tent. Hou Rong had my painting in his hand. When they saw the old man sitting beside my grandfather, they all went to one knee calling out your majesty. I was so stunned that I also went to my knees.

"Get up; I do not want others to know I'm here"

Min and Uncle Zedong stood guard at the entrance, making sure no one peeks inside. I watched as the old man, whom I realized now is the emperor himself, lifted his hand toward Hou Rong direction. Hou Rong walked over and handed him the painting. Setting the painting on the table, I could see the fascination in the emperor's eyes. He carefully hover his hand over the blue bird.

"Are you the bird or the fish, Wei Lan?"

His question not only stunned me, but it brought interest to Hou Rong, the judges, grandfather, Min, and Uncle Zedong who was all present inside the tent. When I couldn't answer, the emperor was not upset; instead, he reached inside his robe and brought out a box.

"As promised, the pair to your phoenix"

I numbly walked forward and took the box. Opening it, it looked identical to the one currently in my hair. The only small difference was the vein of the jade.

"Wei Lan thanks eld_ your majesty"

"Lift your head child"

I did and saw him looking at my face and eyes.

"How old are you this year Wei Lan?"

"3 months past 16..." I replied softly.

"Your majesty" My grandfather tone was surprisingly cold.

Everyone was startled by grandfather tone toward the emperor, but the emperor chuckled with amusement as if he didn't mind grandfather cold tone.

"It's only a question, old friend"

"My granddaughter is still young"

"Of course, of course" The emperor chuckled again.

Looking at the two elder, it was clear that the two were indeed good friends. For the emperor to allow anyone to speak to him so coldly was simply abnormal.

"Min" Grandfather was clearly annoyed but kept his expression neutral. "Escort your mei-mei back so she can rest properly"

"Yes grandfather"

I bowed my head at both men before turning to leave. When Hou Rong suddenly took my wrist, I felt as if I was burned alive. Startled, I yank hard away, panicked that Hou Rong suddenly touching me.

"Hou Rong" My grandfather slammed his fist on the table, his temper no longer controlled.

"I meant no disrespect toward you or the young miss" Hou Rong apologized calmly, not affected one bit by my grandfather anger. "Master Fa, I apologize"

"Keep your distance" My grandfather words were sharper than any sword.

"Of course"

"Let's go mei-mei" Min also frowned as he quickly lead me out.

I left, feeling completely shaken. Hou Rong fingers could still be seen imprinted on my wrist. Why had he grabbed me like that? Why had he held on so tight? Ironically it had been the first time he touched me even though I had once married him in my previous life. Why now?

"Wei Lan"

I saw Wang Li Xia behind her white veil - but as soon as I saw Wang Feng, I turned and ran. I could hear Min startled shout and Li Xia surprised one. I didn't know why, but my legs had taken off before my mind could comprehend the reason. When I was grabbed into an empty tent, strong arms were tightly secure around my back. I tried to escape but he suddenly held the back my head and pressed it his strong chest. Hearing his heartbeat, I felt my own beating so fast. I couldn't stop the tears that fall. I couldn't stop myself from looking up at him in tears.

"Who bullied you?" His voice was gentle but I could see the fury in his eyes.

When I pushed as his chest, he saw the red marked on my wrist. Grabbing it, he lifted it up and saw it was made by someone. Instantly, his eyes went cold and murderous.

"Who bullied you, Lan?" He repeated this time in cold anger.

I didn't say anything and cried softly with a hand to my face. I didn't want him to see me cry. I didn't want him to see me weak. When he brought me back into his arms, holding me tightly to his heart, I felt my heart breaking more and more. I knew this man couldn't be mine. In 2 years, he would meet the person he truly loves - the wife that he would remain loyal to. As for me, no matter where I run, I'm trapped between Hou Rong and Wang Feng.