Chapter 30: The Blue Bird

I was mentally drained on the day of the painting competition. Everyone sat at their own small table with a sheet of white fabric paper and ink with all colors, while I sat near the back - wanting to hide my fatigue.

I tried to clear my mind, but my heart went cold when the 3 judges walked in. In the center was a beautiful young man with long hair that was braided to the side. It was the same confident smile and the same gray eyes that I had once fallen desperately in love in. My eyes went down onto the paper but I couldn't see anything. I never wanted to see this man and had done everything I could to avoid ever crossing path with him. But now, I am face with this nightmare - Hou Rong.

                I wanted to cry. I wanted to run. But I was paralyzed to my spot. I had been so lost that I didn't hear my name being repeated several times. The young girl front of me turned around and waved her hand across my face until I finally hear and see again.

"Fa Wei Lan"

                I stood slowly and felt as if my whole body was ice. It was painful to stand.

"As last year winner, you can choose the painting topic"

                I walked to the front where there were three box on the table. Last year, I chose the box in the middle. This year I picked the box in the right.

"Fish"

                The announcer read the single word written inside the box. My mind was blank as I head back to my seat.

"Fa Wei Lan"

                The voice I knew so well made my feet stopped.

"I saw your painting last year" Hou Rong voice was clear and deep. "Even now, as it hangs in the palace study, the flower you drew is able to attract butterflies"

                Last year, I won with a little trick I read about. By added honey and orchid tea into my ink, I created a scent that could attract butterflies. The theme had been butterflies, but when I drew a stem of orchid flowers, everyone laughed. It was only when live butterflies surround my painting that people were stunned into silence. I had won by a simple trick.

"I'm looking forward to your painting this year; I hope you won't disappointment me"

                Spoken so arrogantly and yet I could see all the girls' swooning. For me, I felt colder and colder. I gave a small bow and head back to my table without a single word.

While Wei Lan went back to her seat.

Wei Lan didn't know her silence had intrigued Hou Rong who had sat in the center front of the stage, watching her since he heard her name being called.

"Wei Lan looks pale"

                Meanwhile, in the Fa Family tent, He Long could clearly see Wei Lan and noticed how troubled his granddaughter looked.

"Mei-mei hasn't been feeling well since the archery competition" Min spoke softly.

                He Long frowns at this. Beside him, the same old man who gifted the phoenix hair stick to Wei Lan, was also observing the small frail beauty at the back row. Dress in dark blue, she had let her hair down, tying part of her hair in a simple twist knot. The old man saw the beautiful young girl had use the blue jade hair stick. Normally, one would expect the hair stick to be placed in an extravagantly styled hair. But seeing the simple style was both alluring and sweet.

The announcer lit up the incense stick.

                While everyone begin to paint, I was the only one that didn't pick up my paintbrush. I didn't know why but I was suddenly terrified - so terrified that my hands were trembling under the table. In silence, I stared at the white paper in front of me. I didn't know if I could do this.

"Mei-mei!"

                I flinched and turned my head to see Min - my kind older cousin and his worried expression. Turning back to my paper, I gripped on my hands, forcing them to stop shaking. When I took the brush, I forced it to move. I didn't know what I was drawing - I just drew. The wind was blowing and I could smell the scent of spring. Lifting my head, I saw the sky. I had been staring at the sky for so long that I didn't know people watching me. While everyone head were down, focusing on their painting, I was looking up.

A bird.

When I saw a bird flying, I looked back at my painting. My hand moved on its own. My eyes were empty as I paint. My hands were no longer shaking even though I felt so cold.

"Times up!"

                I set my brush down - not even knowing if I had finished the painting. I didn't even react when someone picked up my painting and carried it to the front for judging. I was sitting at my spot, looking down at my hands while the crowd was silent. After all long time, my name was called.

"Fa Wei Lan"

                I stood up and finally saw eyes on me. In the front, my painting was hanging in the center. I knew it was mine even though I didn't remember painting it.

The painting was a clear lake surrounding by white lotus flowers. In the lake, there was a golden fish right underneath the surface looking up at the sky. The most heart moving thing wasn't the fish, but the blue bird hovering right above the water, looking sadly at the fish. Without a single word, it was clear that the bird was in love with the fish. How sad it was to see this because it was a type of love that was impossible - a love between a fish and a bird.

Suddenly, people recalled Wei Lan had gazed up at the sky at the birds. They realized shockingly that the young girl inspired moments before the competition ended. She was able to draw such a beautiful blue bird with such a sorrow expression. The theme had been fish, but again, this girl used a blue bird to highlight the fish.

"Beautiful"

                When I heard his words, I felt my heart growing colder.

"Fa Wei Lan" Hou Rong smiled at me. "You are talented as they say"

                I didn't look at him. I didn't want to look at him.

"Wei Lan still has much to learn..."

                When it was announced that I was the winner, I didn't react. Instead, I head back to the Fa Family tent. I wanted to stay away from Hou Rong as much as possible.