Chapter 6: 500 Carts

I was scared. But what could I do when I couldn't bear to watch the white horse beaten. The people at the port surrounded me after Master Bai left. No one blamed me. Instead, they were terrified for me. They couldn't believe that a child that they grew fond of the past year actually spoke out to the grand Master Bai for a horse.

Realizing I have limited time to resolve the matter, I headed toward the main building hoping to explain the situation to the manager before he hears it from someone else. Instead, I found Li waiting for me with his usual calmed expression. He told me that Master Fa allowed me to do as I wish and ordered everyone at the port to assist me in whatever I need. I didn't see grandfather but realized he had witness my bold action. I didn't know whether grandfather was upset or not, and I didn't dare to ask. All I could do now is find a solution before it affects grandfather's reputation.

                I didn't dare to go back to the Fa Mansion after that day. I resolved myself to stay at the port until the problem was resolved. Even if I were to be sold, I don't want grandfather to be involved. Sitting at the desk with people staring anxiously at me, I reviewed my father's journals. I kept quiet and studied for the rest of that day, while everyone else nervously went about their own work.

                The next morning, people had thought I had given up until I asked that they take out 250 of the 500 carts. I asked that they opened up each cart and display them the center of the port. Many were confused as I begin to put price signs in each cart. When they saw how cheap the price was, they panicked. The manager had advise me against the written price, but I insisted and asked several dozen workers to go out into the nearby villages with flyers regarding the goods being sold for cheap. The faces I saw throughout the port was concern and loss.

                By the afternoon, the port was filled with people. After only an hour, a hundred carts was sold but only 50 gold teal was profited. To everyone, no matter how good and busy the business was, it was still a lost when these items were sold ridiculously cheap. I continued to ignore the pained looks on everyone face and asked that they continue until 250 carts were sold.

Meanwhile, several men were observing Fa Wei Lan from above in the grand Bai's ship.

"Master Bai, why do you let that brat make a mess of our business" The men were clearly upset and snickered as they watched the young child walking back toward the Fa Main Office Building. "That boy is actually selling each cart for half of its true value! Even if we sell the boy, we will still not make up for the losses he made"

                Many were stunned - some were amused while other pities the child who they already judged foolish. They already presumed that the child will be sold off by their master.

"It seems I've been too lenient on you lately, seeing how you dare question my decision"

                The men instantly shut up and stepped back lowering their head in fear as Master Bai eyes flash with coldness.

"Get back to work"

                The men quickly left as ordered.

"Grandfather"

Immediately, Master Bai expression softens and brightens to the voice beside him. Standing beside him was a very handsome young boy, no older than 13 years, wearing all white with his long hair held half up with a white golden stick. The boy was casually leaning his arm across the ship rail with his chin on his fist, watching the scene below him. Master Bai could see the sparkle in his grandson dark eyes as he watched Fa Wei Lan with interest.

"That girl is interesting"

                Master Bai was surprised at the word "girl".