Chapter 33: Going to the Capital City

I woke up the next day to find out from Min that we're leaving the Wen Province and heading toward the capital city. It seemed that grandfather had urgent business he had to take care of. It wasn't my place to question further and so packed up my things for departure.

Riding on Yun, I unconsciously let out a relief sigh as we exited the province gate. Even though it was cowardice of me, I felt relieved that I was able to leave before Wang Feng came looking for me. I wasn't ready to face him after yesterday event. I had been so ashamed and embarrassed to even have dinner with the family because my lips were red and swollen from the kiss. Even now, it ached slightly. Even now, I can still taste him.

"Mei-mei" Min rode his horses next to me. "It's probably a good thing that we have to leave so abruptly considering what happen recently"

                I nodded, even though Min thoughts were slightly different than mind, the results were still the same. It is a good idea that we were leaving Wen Province.

"You know grandfather was not pleased with that Hou Rong"

                I was startled with the sudden mention of Hou Rong. I turned to look at Min, seeing his troubled and upset expression.

"What happened, Min-ge?"

"That Hou Rong... he asked grandfather for your hand last night"

                I blinked several times as if the words didn't make any sense at all.

"W_ what?"

"Hou Rong came to the lodging last night while you were resting and asked grandfather for your hand"

                I blinked again.

"That doesn't make any sense."

                It didn't make sense at all. Yesterday was the first time he saw me. How was he asking grandfather for my hands the same night?

"He has his eyes on you mei-mei. And for no good intention"

                I was not moved by the news despite my past feelings for the man. I knew there was more to the story so I waited to hear Min's reasoning.

"He saw how close grandfather was to his majesty..." Min said softly.

                It was then I understood. It made me feel bitter because I knew Min was right. Hou Rong wanted me only because he saw grandfather's relationship with the emperor.

"What did grandfather say?"

"What did you think grandfather say?" Min smile became sly.

                I just look at Min.

"My granddaughter can chose who she wants to marry"

                I was surprised while Min chuckled.

"Why are you surprised? Mei-mei, did you think grandfather would ever force you into a marriage?"

                No, it wasn't within grandfather nature to ever force anything on anyone - especially his kin.

"Be careful mei-mei, that man will attack you directly now that grandfather said that"

                I understood that was the case. Hou Rong was a man who cares about status and rank. He will do anything to get it. In the past, for the Zhou money and power, he married me and my cousin. In fact, many of his concubines are daughters of the rich and wealthy.

"Hmph, if I remember correctly, Hou Rong already have women in his home; does he really think he can add my mei-mei in harem?"

                Hearing this, I felt more and more bitter. This was true. The man already has two concubines. If the memory served me right, by the end of this year, another woman would fall into his good looks and charm. The woman was the youngest daughter of a high official. Then three years later, he would marry my younger cousin. One thing I know for sure if that I, Fa Wei Lan, will never marry Hou Rong. Not in this life time - not ever again.

"Min-ge, let's not talk about that man, Wei Lan feel sick just hearing his name" I said coldly.

                Min was a bit surprised with my tone but nodded.

"Min-ge, you have been to the capital before, what is it like?"

                I wanted to change the subject. Since I never had been to the capital and I knew Min has, it's the best time to ask.

"Umm... big, busy, and loud"

                I laughed at the vague description.

"Min-ge, that what you said about Wen Province"

"I did?" Min grins and scratched his head.

"Min-ge, you need to expand your vocabulary"

"You brat" Min tapped my head but I dodged his hand.

                I laughed as he reached over once more, not giving up at tapping my head. I pulled on Yun's rein and the horse immediately took off.

"You can run but you can't hide" Min whip the rein on his horse and chase after me with a smile.

                It's always a joy to be with my older cousin because he always make the moment so easy and enjoyable. I can always laugh and be myself without worries. Most importantly, Fa Min always seems to know what to do or say to make me smile.