3. I Hate Loose Ends

"What the hell is going on in this town?"

"You really don't want to know," I said under my breath. Still cradling the girl's head. "Call an ambulance," I ordered.

While he was calling I bit my wrist and fed her some of my blood. Ordinarily I would have left her and let the paramedics do their job, but Stefan would kill me if I let her die when I could help her. Once my blood was in her system, she breathed deeply and started coughing.

"You're gonna be fine," I promised her, hearing sirens in the distance. I left her on the ground and stood up to face the guy. "What's your name?"

"Steve. Steve Rogers," he said, moving back slightly, like he was scared of me.

"Well Steve, listen carefully," I looked into his eyes. "You're in Mystic Falls on vacation, you haven't heard about any attacks. Tonight, you went for a jog, you saw nobody and nothing unusual happened. Now you'll go back to wherever you're staying, you'll forget we met and anything you saw me do, and you won't leave until morning."

He broke away from me and started walking the way he came. I watched him until he got to the end of the road before compelling the girl to forget that I was there. Then I left before anyone else saw me. How could one day in Mystic Falls be more eventful than 50 years in Atlanta?

...

"Where's my car?" I heard the second I stepped through the door.

"At the grill," I answered, walking into the living room to find Stefan and Damon sitting opposite each other in silence. "How can you give me a lecture on killing people when you guys have been leaving 'animal attack' victims left and right?!"

"What are you talking about?" Stefan asked.

"I met a guy. He told me that he's in town researching animal attacks and victims drained of blood. It's a matter of time before someone finds out," I informed them. They looked at each other.

"Wasn't me!" Damon said, holding his hands up. "What about Vampire Barbie?"

"Caroline doesn't kill people," Stefan said. "Who was this guy?"

"His name was Steve. That's all I know."

They looked at each other.

"OK, I get it." Damon held up his hands. "No need to worry, I'll go kill this Steve guy."

"No," I said. "No way, that's not an option." Both of them looked at me suspiciously and I cleared my throat. "If I can't kill anyone... you can't either," I tried to play it off. The truth is, I felt like I owed Steve. He was kind to me.

"Look, we can't have this guy finding out what we are," Stefan said.

"I compelled him to forget why he was here," I admitted. Compelling people had become second nature to me – I didn't understand how humans lived without it!

"I hate loose ends," Damon said playfully. "Maybe I'll kill him anyway..."

"Look, I'll find him," I offered. "I'll talk to him and find out what he knows."

Stefan gave Damon one of his signature 'don't mess shit up' looks. In response, Damon smirked and left the room and a weight lifted from my chest. I just prayed that Steve didn't know anything about vampires.

...

"What if he doesn't show up?" I asked, hiding my face behind a menu at a café just inside of Mystic Falls.

"He will," Elena responded, also hiding behind her menu. He'd never met Elena and he couldn't remember me, but the menus were fun. We felt like spies.

"Look, nothing against your friend Caroline but, how does she even know this? All I gave her was a name."

"It's what I do," a voice said from behind us. I turned around to see a blond girl with a wide smile coming towards us. She sat opposite me. "You must be Serena."

"And you must be Caroline Forbes, aka 'Vampire Barbie'?" I questioned.

"I see you've spoken to Damon," she said, rolling her eyes. I sensed a story there but didn't push it. "What's it like to be related to him?"

The door to the café opened and a familiar face walked through, taking a seat in the booth behind us.

"Complicated," I muttered, sliding out of the booth and casually walking past him. "Hi," I said. "Is this seat taken?"

"Um, no," he said, a confused expression on his face.

"Great," I plonked myself into the seat with a smile. "Sorry, this is weird. I just... like to sit by the door. Y'know, in case there's a fire or something?"

"It's no problem," he said with a lazy smile.

"I'm Serena Salvatore," I said, reaching out to shake his hand.

"Steve Rogers."

"So Steve, what are you doing in Mystic Falls?" I asked nonchalantly, batting my eyelashes at him for good measure.

"I'm on vacation." His smile didn't falter. "This is a cool place, you live here?"

"Kind of. I just moved in with my brothers. I used to live in Atlanta," I said. "Where are you from?"

"Brooklyn originally, but now I live in New York City."

"NYC? Were you there during those attacks last year?" I asked. About a year ago, there were reports that New York was being attacked by aliens. Most people didn't believe it, but I was unsure. I mean, I lived in a world of Vampires, witches and werewolves – aliens weren't really that much of a stretch.

"Um, no," he said, his smile dropping for the first time. His eyes darted from side to side and his pulse raced. I glanced behind him to see Caroline mouthing something at me.

'He's lying'

I cleared my throat and looked him in the eyes. "Tell me the truth. What were you doing during the attacks?"

"Saving the city," he said.

I would have laughed, but I knew that he had no choice but to tell the truth.

"Saving the city? You couldn't save the city, not unless you were one of..." I trailed off, remembering the reports at the time. A group of heroes had saved the city, and people were practically worshipping at their feet. They called themselves 'The Avengers'.

"Are you an Avenger?"

"I'm Captain America," he said. As soon as he said it, I instantly recognised him. And I instantly realised that I wanted nothing to do with him.

"I'm sorry, I have to go," I said abruptly, getting up and exiting the café, hearing Elena run after me.

"Forget what you just told her," Caroline said to Steve. "She came and sat down, you talked about Mystic Falls and you flirted. Then she left quickly."

"What's the problem?" Elena asked me.

"He's Captain fucking America," I said softly. There were so many things wrong here. If he ever found out what we were, him and his team could take us out. Not easily, but it could be done. Not to mention, we were the reason he was here in the first place. He came to hunt vampires – even if I made him forget, he'd go back to NYC and someone would remind him what his mission was. He'd kill us.

What was more dangerous than humans finding out about vampires?

Vampires being hunted by superheroes.

**************************************************

Thanks so much for reading! The first 2 chapters have passed 160 reads which is amazing!

Is Serena right to be worried?  Could the Avengers take out the Mystic Falls vampires?

Please vote, comment and all that good stuff xx