23. Some Old Witch Gave You A Bad Spell

I held out my hand. Klaus took it, stabbing me in the palm gently until a few droplets of blood appeared. Then he poured three drops of my blood into a goblet.

"You said you were going to kill me," I said.

He looked me in the eyes, his face serious. "Things change."

I wanted to ask him what things, to ask whether my death was ever something he wanted. But as the sky got darker and the moon showed its face, I was distracted.

"Tonight's a full moon."

"One of the requirements of the ritual," Elijah informed me as Mason Lockwood began to scream in pain, his body contorting.

"But, what about your back-up wolf?" I asked. "You've left whoever it is with your back-up vampire and my two vampire brothers. What if they get bitten? A werewolf bite is fatal to a vampire!"

"Calm down," Klaus said, before staring me in the eyes. "Don't worry about your brothers, they'll be fine."

A feeling of calm came over me.

"Let's get on with this, brother," Finn said. Klaus nodded, taking the goblet and placing a hand on Bonnie's upper arm.

Shaking slightly, she held the book open and began to recite the words on the page. Klaus pulled her along to the first circle, containing the other Lockwolf.

"Jenna, just be strong," I heard Elena tell her aunt. "When you get the chance, run. As fast as you can."

As Bonnie learned the words and got stronger, the three circles became engulfed in flames. They burned for a few seconds before the first one died down. Klaus stepped inside with Bonnie in tow. It took seconds for him to break Mason's neck. He plunged his hand into Mason's chest, pulled out his heart and squeezed the blood from it into the goblet. Bonnie's magic made it sizzle.

He then moved on to Jenna's circle. Before she could move a muscle, her heart was in his hand.

"Jenna! No!" Elena screamed, crying.

Klaus repeated his actions, squeezing her blood into the sizzling goblet. Then he moved on to Elena.

"Leave her alone Klaus!" I said, before Elijah moved to stand next to me, placing a hand on my forearm. The gesture was supposed to keep me quiet. It comforted me.

"Sorry about this love," he said to her. Instead of ripping out her heart, he stabbed her in the stomach. He waited for the blood to pour. She grimaced and her skin went pale. I wanted to scream out again, but I couldn't speak, couldn't move. My heart pounded in my chest as the moon got to its highest point in the sky. Bonnie kept speaking the foreign words as Elena fell to the ground, enough blood drained from her body for the ritual to work.

Klaus and Bonnie came back to the altar. Klaus handed the goblet to Finn, who held it in both hands, as if he was holding something implicitly sacred.

"Thank you for this, brother. For letting me be the first." Finn put the goblet to his lips.

"Only a sip," Klaus warned.

He took his sip and set the goblet down, the rest of the blood still intact.

Bonnie stopped speaking and we waited. Finn breathed heavily, waiting for something to take place. At first there was nothing. Then his eyes changed and he felt something.

"It's working," he said. "I feel it!"

He grinned and rose an arm. Instantly the area around us was completely set alight. He raised his other hand and the wind picked up, whipping leaves and debris around us. Soon we could hear nothing but the sound of the wind.