14. You Can Choose My Next Victim

I made Elena drive to a bar just outside of town – far enough that she couldn't go running home at the first sign of danger, but close enough for us to get back quickly if something got out of hand.

"What are we doing?" she asked me.

"You said you want to be a vampire. I'm showing you what that's really like."

"I know what it's really like," she said. "Stefan-"

"Look," I cut her off. "My brother is the worst example of what a real vampire is. He's not cut out for it. Damon's better, but even he's tame compared to what you're about to see," I said, hoping to scare her.

"We don't have to do this," she said.

"Are you changing your mind about the whole vampire thing?" I asked. She shook her head. I frowned, realizing that she'd just lost her last chance. Now I'd have to follow through.

"Hi," I said, sitting down at a table opposite two men. They both looked me up and down. "I was wondering if you guys could help me with something?"

"Sure," one of them said, smiling.

"You see my friend here?" I said, pointing to Elena. Her eyes widened in alarm. "She's from out of town and I wanted to show her a good night."

"How good?" one of the guys asked.

I leaned forward and pulled my v-neck shirt down, exposing some of my cleavage. "Very good."

The guys grinned at each other. I stood up and walked towards the door with Elena in tow, knowing that they'd follow us.

"I don't understand what we're doing," she whispered to me.

"When you're a vampire, you have the option to turn your humanity off," I said. "And when you do that, human life means nothing..."

I turned to the guys, smiling, before slamming my hands into their chests and ripping their hearts out.

"Aah!" Elena screamed, their blood splattered her clothes. "Why would you do that?!"

"I'm showing you what being a vampire is really about!" I hissed.

"They're human," she said, tears welling up in her eyes.

"And I'm not! So I don't care!" I said, grabbing her and pulling her back into the bar. "Come on, you can choose my next victim."

"I don't want to do this anymore."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "So you don't want to be a vampire?" I asked her.

"I didn't say that!" she said. "I know that vampires kill people, it doesn't change anything."

"Doesn't it?" I asked, a smirk on my face. "Fine."

I walked over to a couple, sitting at a table holding hands. "Excuse me," I said, looking at the girl. "You're got really long nails, I love them!" I picked up her hand and examined her manicure.

"Thanks! I just got them done," she said with a smile.

"Oh really?" I said. "Well, now you're gonna use them to stab yourself in the eyes."

"What?" she asked nervously. I began my compulsion.

"Stick those pretty nails in your eyes."

"Hey, what the hell!" the guy beside her said, standing up.

"Oh, don't think I forgot about you," I said.

"Serena, stop!" Elena said, grabbing my arm.

"I'm just getting started," I said to her, before turning back to the guy. "Bite your tongue off."