31. Long Time No See, Baby Salvatore

Before long, we were driving past the Mystic Falls border. Talking about coming back here while we were in New Orleans was one thing, but actually being back here made me realize how crazy my request was. Not only was I leading Klaus back to where Elena was, but even if we did manage to find Katherine, could I really kill her?

"Stop," I said when we were about a mile away from the Salvatore house.

"Why are we stopping here?" he asked, pulling over at my request.

"You have to stay here," I said. He opened his mouth to protest, but I kept speaking. "Look, no one can know that you're back here, least of all Katherine."

"Or you could tell me where she is and I could rip her head off her shoulders?" he countered.

I rolled my eyes. "You've been chasing the girl for 500 years. You can't wait another half hour?"

He sighed and tapped a hand on the steering wheel. "30 minutes," he said. "And if you're not back, I'll come and look for you. Starting at your brothers' house."

"Deal," I said, getting out and vamp running to the house. The further away from him I was, the more I was regretting my decision to bring him back here. Was killing Katherine worth the possibility that Klaus could kill Elena?

...

I burst through the door, running into the living room to see Stefan, Elena, Caroline and Damon talking, presumably about Katherine.

"Guys guys guys," I said in a rush.

"Serena!" Caroline said.

"There's no time," I continued. "Listen, I did something that I maybe shouldn't have done. Now I have exactly 28 minutes to find Katherine."

"Hold on," Stefan said. "What's going on?"

"OK so, in a nutshell, seeing Katherine freaked me out, so much so that I forgot how evil Klaus is and brought him back to Mystic Falls to find Katherine knowing that if he sees that Elena's still alive he might kill her too," I blurted out.

"Klaus is here?" Damon asked, standing up. "Great, I'll go kill him."

"He can't be killed, remember?" Stefan said.

"OK then, I'll 'talk' to him."

"And by 'talk' you mean 'piss him off until he kills us all'?" Elena asked

"You're not gonna go anywhere near Klaus," I said to Damon. "I promised him that I'd hand over Katherine."

"OK, tell me this," Damon said sarcastically. "You promised Klaus Katherine. But, how are you gonna find her?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, looking at Stefan. "She's not here?"

He shook his head.

"That makes no sense. She has to be here. She said she would be."

"We haven't seen her," Caroline said.

"Trust me, if we had, she wouldn't still be alive to tell the tale," Damon said with one of his arrogant smirks.

"Why is Klaus even here?" Elena asked, visibly worried. "Why would he agree to come? Doesn't he have to deal with Marcel and the whole ritual thing?"

"Yeah, but Katherine's the one he's been chasing for 500 years. Finding her is more important to him than Marcel..." I trailed off. "Hey, Elena. Can I talk to you for a sec? In private?"

"Um, sure," she said warily. I led her into the kitchen, shutting the door behind us.

"Is everything OK?" she asked.