37. The Black Widow Spider

I awoke with a smile on my face, getting up from the bed and putting my underwear back on.

"Hey, where are you going?" the guy in the bed asked, smiling at me.

"What was your name again?" I asked him with a smirk.

"Luke," he answered. In the light of day, it was hard to remember why I picked him. He wasn't even slightly attractive and had an accent that sounded like someone dragging their nails over a chalkboard.

"Right, Luke. I hate to sugarcoat this, but I'm about to kill you. However, like a lot of vampires, I enjoy the chase. So 'Usain Bolt' out of here please."

He looked confused, which in turn confused me. Hadn't I explained everything to him loud and clear?

"V-vampires?" he asked.

"Clock is ticking!" I tapped my imaginary watch.

He gathered up his clothes quickly and made for the door.

"You're not even trying!" I complained, vamp running towards him and placing my hand on his chest. "Before you go, I just have to tell you something. The guilt will eat me alive if I don't." I waited, and he waited. "You're a shit fuck."

I ripped his heart out, giggling as the blood ran down my arm.

"You know," a voice said. "You're the physical embodiment of the Black Widow spider."

I rolled my eyes, turning to my best friend.

"Don't Black Widow's eat their mates?" I asked. "I didn't eat him... not yet anyway."

He chuckled. "We should be moving on love, if we stay here any longer, they'll be no males left in this town."

I couldn't even remember what town he was talking about. Or, I couldn't bring myself to care. We'd been going from city to city, ripping out as many hearts as we could for the past three weeks. I didn't know it was possible to have so much fun being a vampire.

"Fine, where to next? Should we throw a dart at a map? Pick somewhere out of a hat? Drive until we hit that place where the sand meets the water?"

Klaus raised an eyebrow. I was mocking him and he knew it. "What do you care if there's no men left?" I asked him.

"Unlike you, I'm not keen on people finding out what we really are."

"I've never understood that. Vampires are the toughest creatures in the world, yet around humans they pretend not to exist. It's bullshit."

"Nevertheless, we should be going. And don't think that I didn't notice the doppelganger alive and well. You lied to me."

I laughed. "Do you really think any of us would have let Elena die? Come on Klaus, you're a smart guy. We found a way."

"I just wonder if the fact that her heart still beats contributes to the fact that the ritual didn't work."

I sighed. "It wasn't gonna work anyway. The witches and Marcel were working against you from the beginning. Remember?"

I thought he was going to argue against my logic, but instead he seemed to admit defeat. "Where should we go next?"

"You don't need to chaperone me you know," I said. "I can actually look after myself."

"I know that," he said, smirking. "But just imagine how bored you'd be without me."

I laughed. "I no longer have an innate need to spare your feelings. You're boring and annoying as hell, Hybrid."

"When have you ever spared my feelings?" he asked.

I laughed again. "True. Fine, I'll go pack, you choose where we go."