34. Are You Ready For That?

I ran up the stairs in time to see Damon being shot in the back with an arrow, while Caroline was trying to pull an identical arrow out of Stefan.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Wooden arrows," Caroline informed me. "They came through the window."

I ran to Damon and pulled the arrow out of his back.

"Right," he said. "Someone's dead."

"Wait," I said.

"Someone just tried to kill us," he said, looking at me as if I was going crazy. "They're dead."

"It's not what you think," I said, as another arrow came through the door and struck me in the shoulder. "Damn it!" I cursed, pulling it out myself.

"What do you mean it's 'not what I think'?" Damon asked angrily. "Who's out there?"

"It's all Katherine," I answered. "Just... let me talk to him."

The door burst open and behind it, stood Steve, looking like the most experienced vampire hunter in the world. He shot Damon with a vervain dart, causing him to fall to the floor.

"Get Stefan out of here!" I said to Caroline, before turning to Steve. "It's me," I said. "Don't let Katherine get in your head."

"You're a monster," he said, punching me in the face. I stood up as soon as I fell.

"I don't want to hurt you," I warned him. He threw a metal painted shield at me, it catching me in the stomach. I picked it up and used it to shield myself from the wooden arrow that he shot my way.

"You're evil," he said, lunging at me again and again.

I hit him in the face with his shield, hoping that it would knock him out. Unfortunately, he was stronger than that.

"I'm still Serena," I said. "I'm the same person I was when you met me!"

"You lied about everything!" he argued, hitting me.

I grunted. "Not everything. I never lied about how I feel about you."

"Liar!" he grabbed the shield from me and hit me, taking me by surprise. I fell to the ground beside Damon, who was beginning to come around after the vervain hit.

Steve reached into his pocket and pulled out a hand-whittled wooden stake.

"Don't do this!" I warned him. "Please."

"I have to kill you," he said.

As he leaned over me, I kicked him to the ground, wrestling the stake from him and standing over him with vamp speed.

"You need to stop this Steve," I said. "Or it won't end well for either of-"

I felt something hard hit me in the back and I fell onto a glass table, shards of glass piercing my skin. I looked up to see Elena.

"Elena?"

"I can't stop," she said. "I have to kill all of you. Katherine said I can't stop."

"Elena," Damon said, suddenly on his feet. "You don't have to do this."

"Katherine compelled me," she said apologetically.

While she was talking, I reached for the wooden stake, plunging it into Steve's leg.

"Ah!" he cried out in pain.

"Stay down," I compelled him. Not that my compulsion could override Katherine's, but if he was on the ground, the chances of him actually being able to hurt us were slim.