58. I've Always Wanted To Go To Paris

"Klaus?!" Caroline asked. "Seriously?!"

"I told you," Bonnie said. She'd told me to wait as long as possible before telling Caroline who I'd chosen.

"You dumped Steve – gorgeous, nice, good, perfect Steve – for Klaus freaking Mikaelson?!" she continued.

"Caroline, I mean, if Serena's happy, shouldn't we just... let her be?" Elena asked tentatively.

"Not with Klaus! You guys are completely wrong for each other!"

I smiled at her. "Care, I know you don't agree, and maybe you'll be right. But I love him."

"You weren't supposed to let Klaus weasel his way into your confused newbie Hybrid heart!" she said. "You and Steve were... epic."

"We weren't," I told her. "Even without Klaus, I wasn't right for him Care, I know that and he knows it, deep down."

She sat down next to me and sighed. "I'm sorry," she said. "But you're my friend, and I don't want you to make a monumental mistake that's gonna haunt you for the rest of your life."

I wrapped an arm around her. "I know, and I love you for that. But if I'm making a mistake, I have to make it to be able to fix it."

She nodded. "That's true."

"So what's happening with Steve?" Elena asked. "Is he just gonna go back to New York."

"I don't know," I said with a smile. "I'm pretty sure he's making a pit-stop first."

Just like that, there was a knock at the front door.

Caroline went to answer it, and saw Steve standing there with a bouquet of flowers.

"Hi Caroline," he said shyly.

"You're trying to win Serena back?" she assumed. "Great, she's inside."

"Actually, I wanted to ask you out... on a date... if that's not too weird?"

For the first time since I'd known her, Caroline was speechless.

"She'd love to go out with you," Bonnie jumped in.

"But, I haven't done my hair. I'm not dressed!" Caroline hissed.

"You look beautiful," I told her honestly. She was just wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and I knew that any guy would be stupid not to see her gorgeousness.

She nodded, her face still unsure. "OK, sure. We can go on a date. I can go on a date with my friend's ex, right?" she asked us.

"Definitely," Elena said.

"Don't think of him as my ex," I told her. "He's just our friend, Steve."

He held his arm out and she took it. They left the house together, and Elena, Bonnie and I exchanged excited squeals.

"Right, we've got Caroline out, now it's your turn," Bonnie said to me.

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

Elena turned me around to face the front door, where Klaus was waiting. I hadn't even seen him turn up. I bit my lip, my happiness shining through whether I wanted it to or not. I went outside to greet him, and he took my hand, leading me away from the house.

"Was that Caroline and Steve I just saw?" he asked.

"It was," I told him. "I'm a matchmaker."

"Of course you are, love," he said, smiling at me. I nuzzled into his shoulder.

"So I was thinking, I have to be here for their graduation," I started. Graduation was a day that everyone was looking forward to, especially as there were no more immediate supernatural threats. It was the first event we could actually enjoy. "But after that, maybe we could go somewhere?"

"There's a hotel in Paris," he informed me. "That I've been dying to take you to."

"I've always wanted to go to Paris," I told him. "And some other places."

He stopped walking and faced me.

"Are you ready to see the world, love?"

I kissed him, drinking in the taste, smell, touch of him.

"With you, I'm ready for anything."

It didn't matter where we went or what we did. All I needed was him. All I needed, was Klaus Mikaelson.

The End.