39. I'm Different Now

We sat in a booth in the corner of the restaurant, Katherine and I.

"Thank you for treating me, Katherine," I said with a smile. "You didn't have to."

"Of course I did!" she said. "Why must the boys have all the fun? Us girls have to stick together."

We'd spent the entire day together, she called it our 'girls day'. No boys allowed.

She reached across the table and took my hand. Automatically, I retracted my hand, looking around to make sure that we weren't being watched.

"What's the problem?" she asked, cocking her head to the side like a puppy.

"What is someone sees us?" I asked. "If father finds out..."

She moved closer to me, whispering.

"I compelled everyone," she said. "We can do whatever we want. No one will notice our table."

She'd let me in on her vampirism the night after we slept together for the first time. She made me forget as soon as she'd told me, but every time we were alone together, she allowed me to remember.

"So, we're safe?" I asked.

She reached over and took my hand again, intertwining our fingers. "We're safe."

She moved her hand to rest on my thigh, and a rush of excitement and anticipation came over me. I moved even closer, until we were touching. She kissed me softly. I couldn't shake the feeling that my father would be disgusted if he ever found out, that he'd disown me and kick Katherine out. But each time we kissed, that thought went further into the back of my mind.

I placed my hands on the sides of her face, pulling her towards me and deepening the kiss.

We made out passionately in the booth, in the middle of the restaurant.

She kissed my neck and I moaned softly, allowing her to lay me down in the booth.

"We shouldn't do this here," I said between staggered breaths.

"Just tell me to stop," she whispered against my neck.

I wanted to make her stop, so that we could go back to being the innocent, modest women that we pretended to be. But I craved her, I needed her. So I let her continue to make me feel euphoric. I never wanted the moment to end.

...

"Where are we?" I asked Klaus.

"The Garden District," he said. "Not far from the French Quarter."

He led me to a hotel, the name of which I didn't catch. We walked straight through and to the elevator, where he pressed the button for the Penthouse Suite.

"Are you going to tell me what the urgency is?" he asked. "You've had weeks to kill Katerina."

I couldn't tell him about what had happened at the restaurant. I couldn't admit that I remembered that day so clearly, I could still feel her lips on mine. The anger that I had for her suggested that my humanity was trying to make its way back in – killing her would stop that.

I ignored his question, as the elevator doors opened right up to the Penthouse, showing her tied to a chair right in front of us.

"Well, I was wondering when I'd be seeing you," she said, smiling at me. "I knew you wouldn't leave me here baby Salvatore."

"I'm not here for you," I said. "I'm here for me."

"Sure," she said sarcastically.

I chuckled. "I'm here to kill you Katherine," I said. "Any last words?"