48. I'll Never Regret Choosing You

"You know how to break the curse?" I asked, lowering my voice involuntarily.

"What curse?" Steve asked. Klaus raised an eyebrow at him.

"This is a private conversation mate," he said. "It doesn't concern you."

"If it concerns Serena, then it concerns me," Steve said. In an ideal world, your boyfriend and your best friend would get along (or at least fake it, for your benefit), but I never expected that to happen with these two. Unfortunately, I was right.

"It's OK Steve," I said, trying to reassure him. "How can I help?"

"You're helping him?" Steve asked me. "Serena, I know all about this guy. He's bad news."

'Bad news'. The exact same phrase that Caroline used. It wasn't hard to work out who'd told Steve about Klaus.

"I think Serena's old enough to make her own decisions," Klaus said. "If you trust her, that is..."

"Stop stirring," I said to him, placing a hand on Steve's chest. "I just want to hear him out. This curse affects all vampires, not just Klaus."

"Since I can't enter the house," Klaus said, reminding us of his presence. "Would you care to take a walk with me Serena?"

"No way," Steve said angrily. "You're not going anywhere with her."

I sighed. "Look, it's fine," I said to Steve. "Just stay here, I'll be back soon."

"You can't say no to him, can you?!" he asked angrily. "Caroline was right."

"Caroline? What did she say?"

"It doesn't matter," he frowned.

"Look Steve, Klaus is my friend. I trust him." I stepped out of the house. "The next time you talk to Caroline, be sure to tell her that!"

I shut the door and walked away quickly, Klaus easily matching my speed.

"Don't say anything," I told him. I couldn't take his snarky attitude.

"I won't."

We walked in silence.

"I'm not gonna stop being your friend," I informed him. "No matter what they say. You're stuck with me, Hybrid."

"Well if it's any consolation, you're stuck with me too." He nudged my shoulder with his and I smiled.

"Go on, tell me about the ritual," I asked him. "What went wrong last time?"

"Everything," he answered. "The whole vampire blood + werewolf blood + dead doppelganger was completely untrue."

"So you killed Jenna and Mason Lockwood for no reason?" I asked.

"Not for no reason," he said. "At least I know now that the witches were plotting my death."

"Isn't everyone plotting your death?" I asked, half-joking.

"So as it turns out," he continued, ignoring me. "There is a way to break the curse. But, as a final gift from my mother, it won't work on an Original vampire."

"Right," I said, expecting this kind of outcome. Something had told me that Klaus Mikaelson would never be able to become a witch. It didn't add up. "So that's it then?"

"Not necessarily," he said. "The spell requires a vampire to drink the blood of the doppelganger, a witch and an Original vampire. Then a witch does a spell. When this happens, the vampire's life binds with the Original's."

"So what? If you die, they die?"

"Exactly, and vice versa," he confirmed. "If I can't become a witch, the next best thing would be for me to be connected to a vampire-witch hybrid."