20. When We're Both In Hell

"So this does have something to do with Klaus?" Steve asked.

"Stefan, Damon, Elena, this is Steve Rogers," I said, ignoring his question. "Steve, my brothers Stefan and Damon, and Stefan's girlfriend Elena."

"Serena, can I talk to you for a second?" Stefan asked, not taking his eyes off of Steve.

"Steve, come with me, we can get a drink or... something," Elena said, taking Steve from the room as my brothers descended on me.

"What is he doing here?" Stefan asked, a worried look in his eyes.

"Looking for me," I said. "I had to leave in a hurry."

"Let me rephrase Stefan's question," Damon said. "What the hell is he still doing here?"

"What was I supposed to do, send him away?"

"Yes, that's exactly what you were supposed to do. Or what, did you think this was a perfect time for your boyfriend to meet the family? You know, the day before you're murdered by the all-powerful wolf-vamp!" Damon hissed angrily.

"First of all, he's not my boyfriend. Second of all, in case you didn't notice, I didn't invite him here! And third of all, I'm not getting murdered by anybody, got that?!"

"OK guys, let's calm down," Stefan said, taking on his usual role of peacemaker.

"Calm down? How can I calm down?!" I asked. "Klaus Mikaelson, the Original Hybrid freak is trying to kill me, I promised to keep Steve, aka the Captain America Supersoldier, away from vampires and inadvertently led him straight to them, I have 24 hours to make an impossible decision and all I want to do is run away!" I punched a wall, putting my fist straight through it as if it was made of polystyrene.

"Captain America?" Damon asked. "The superhero?!"

"Hey," Elena said, coming out of the kitchen. "I sent Steve upstairs. Everything OK?"

"We have to leave," I said. "I have to go. I have to get Steve out of here."

"Klaus is coming tomorrow, what part of that don't you understand?" Damon asked. "I say, when he comes tomorrow, we'll be ready for him."

"We don't know how to kill an Original, let alone Klaus Mikaelson," Stefan reminded him.

"It doesn't matter," Damon said. "We'll get Ric, Caroline, Bonnie, Lockwood, maybe even Barbie-Klaus will be on our side."

"Yeah, that makes sense," I said. "Get together two vampires, a witch, a werewolf, the doppelganger and me. All the people that Klaus wants to kill in one room, saves him the trouble!"

"We just need a plan," Elena said optimistically.

"Not if the plan involves you," Stefan said softly. "I'm not letting anything happen to you."

"And I'm not letting anything happen to you," she said.

"OK, part one of the plan," I said. "I'm not letting Steve out of my sight. Klaus can't know anything about him."

I walked out of the room, taking the stairs two at a time.

"Steve," I called, looking for him. The sooner I got him out of Mystic Falls, the better. I couldn't trust him to be alone here. Especially since Rebekah had seen us together.

I stopped in my tracks.

Rebekah had seen us together. Rebekah who was Klaus's sister. Rebekah who needed something from Klaus, who would do anything to get it. Rebekah who was also upstairs.

"Steve!" I called again, more frantically, shoving open each of the bedroom doors, hoping to find either of them. Because if they were still here, then I was wrong about her.

"Rebekah!"

After searching each room twice, it was clear that I had been right. Rebekah had the same thought that I did, Steve was Klaus's leverage. With Steve, Klaus could get me to do anything, she knew that.

"She took Steve," I said, rushing back down the stairs and to the front door.

"Rebekah?" Elena asked me.

"Who else?"

"Where are you going?" Stefan asked me.

"I'm going to rip that stupid blonde hair out of her stupid blonde head!" I said, seeing red. We were stupid to even consider the possibility that Rebekah could be on our side.

"Is that the best idea?" Elena asked.

"If she hurts him I'll kill her," I said.

"But why would she take Steve now?" Stefan asked. "You still have 20 hours to make the decision."

"He knew that I'd run," I said. It was the only explanation. Klaus knew me better than I thought he did. "Taking Steve ensures that I won't."

"So what do we do?"

"We choose," I said. Elena and Stefan looked at me as if I was crazy. "If we don't choose, he'll choose for us. Not only will he probably choose Stefan to spite us, but he might also kill Steve. I can't take that chance, I will not take that chance."

"What's the big deal?" Damon asked. "I know you like this Steve guy, but if it's him versus us..." he trailed off and swiftly ducked, avoiding my punch.

"It's not just about me liking him," I informed them. "When I went to NYC, I met some of his friends, some Avengers, if that's not clear to you. They knew who I was and where I was from because Steve told them. If he told them where he was going, and he doesn't come back, don't you think they're going to come to Mystic Falls looking for him? And if the superheroes of the world come to Mystic Falls and don't make it home, what do you think is going to happen?" I continued without letting them answer. "Our little town is going to be investigated. And usually when someone's looking for something, they find something a lot worse – like a town crawling with supernatural creatures. Trust me, this will end badly for all of us."

"What the hell were you thinking getting involved with a superhero?" Damon asked me.

"Me?" I asked. "What the hell are you even still doing in Mystic Falls? No one wants you here Damon, even Katherine isn't really here, so why are you?"

"So what, Stefan has the exclusive rights to Mystic Falls?"

"Stefan can live wherever he wants, at least he has a reason to be here!"

"Do you realize that, this time tomorrow, Klaus wants to kill all three of you? And you were gonna run away and leave him, again, because that's what you do best!"

"Oh really?" I asked, trying and failing to keep my anger at bay. "Fine, I've made my decision Elena."

"What do you mean?" she asked me.

"When Klaus comes here tomorrow, I'm telling him that he should use Damon in the ritual."

"Serena, stop it, you're not thinking straight," Stefan said.

"Oh, I am brother," I said, looking at Damon. "Because the one thing that could make this whole situation OK, is the fact that after tomorrow, when we're both in hell, I get to provide you with an eternity of misery."

**************************************************

Thanks for reading, I hope you liked this chapter!

Who's in the right, Serena or Damon? What do you think will happen as a result?

Vote, comment and share if you like the story so far xx