44. Bring Your Girlfriend To Work Day

Steve held my hand as we walked into Avengers Tower. I wasn't the kind of person to get nervous, but this was a huge deal. I was about the meet the Avengers; the crime fighting, world saving team of literal superheroes. What could possibly go wrong?

"Hey everyone," Steve said. In the room were 5 people. I recognized Tony and Natasha, the two I'd met the first time I came here. The others I knew vaguely, probably from seeing them on the news every time they made the world a safer place... until the next threat popped up.

"This is Serena, she's going to accompany us on the mission." All 5 pairs of eyes glanced at me, silently asking the same question. 'How can she help?'

"I'm sorry, is it 'bring your girlfriend to work day?" Tony asked sarcastically. "Because you should have told me, Pepper's been waiting for the day that I lead her into the middle of a near-death experience."

"According to the news," I cut in. "Haven't you led her into near-death situations like, 10 times?"

Natasha laughed, standing up and putting an arm around me. "If Steve thinks she can help, I'm all for it."

"We need as much help as we can get," a guy said, putting his hand out to shake mine. "Clint Barton."

'Hawkeye' I added in my head. "Serena Salvatore."

"Nice to meet you, Lady Salvatore," the guy that I suddenly remembered to be Thor said. My breath caught in my throat as I tried to speak to him. I mean, of course he was a God, but I had never before been so close to real perfection. How did anyone get anything done with him around?

"I'm Bruce," a smaller, kind of geeky guy said. If I didn't already know, I'd never expect that this was the guy that could turn into the Hulk.

"It's nice to meet you guys," I said. "I know it's probably really weird that I'm here, I just want to help."

"How can you help?" Clint asked. "What are your powers? Do you even have powers?"

"It's... complicated," I said. Obviously I wasn't stupid enough to tell them the whole truth. "I have accelerated speed and strength, mainly."

Clint looked at Tony, who shrugged.

"Fair enough," Tony said. "Welcome to the team Serena... temporarily."

"Temporarily," I agreed with a smile. This would never be anything other than temporary. I may have had powers, but I certainly wasn't a hero.

...

They led me to a contraption that I'd never seen before, a rarity for someone who'd been around as long as I had.

"The Quinjet," Steve informed me. His hand hadn't left mine since we got to New York. I enjoyed the safety of it, the warmth. I was addicted to it.

"We're flying in a jet?" I asked. It looked like a warped version of a plane – like if someone who'd never seen a plane before was made to draw one based on a single description.

"Of course," Clint said, winking at me. "The Avengers fly in style!"

I giggled; this was exciting. I had thought that the 'Captain America' side of Steve would be the hardest to deal with, but right now I was loving being in his world.

"So, where are we going in the mysterious jet?" I asked Steve.

"Washington, D.C," he told me.

I frowned. "We need a jet to go to D.C?"

"No," Tony said from behind me. "Nobody needs a jet. But we have a jet. Why shouldn't we use a jet?"

I laughed. "Fair enough."