9. A Shit-Load of Vervain

I awoke in the dark with, what felt like, the worst hangover of my life. My head was pounding as I stood and my eyes adjusted to the blackness. It only took me a second to realise that I was in one of the downstairs utility closets, sharing space with the rarely-used vacuum. I tried the door but, as expected, it was locked. Because things could never be easy.

Plunging my hand through the wood, I was able to unlock the door from the outside and let myself out. How did I get in there anyway?

"Were you in there all night?" Stefan asked. He had a broom in his hand, presumably cleaning the mess from last night.

"Shhh," a voice said from the sofa. I peered over at Caroline, sleeping off what looked like a hangover to rival mine.  "Ugh."

"Yeah," I answered Stefan's question, rubbing my head. A memory was trying to make its way into my brain, but it was fuzzy.

"So you weren't with Elena? I haven't seen her since last night."

"Nope," I said. "Last I remember she was with Bonnie."

"Well, her aunt Jenna said that she didn't come home last night, I'm starting to get worried."

"I'm sure she's fine," I said, walking to the kitchen and grabbing a water from the fridge. Stefan worried way too much.

"I'm trying to retrace her steps," he said, ignoring me. "Before I went to bed she said that she was talking to Jeremy's friend, Anna."

"Anna?" I asked. Within a second, the memories of last night came flooding back. "Damon!" I called, taking the stairs two at a time.

"What?" he asked, standing at his bedroom door, shirtless, with a weary look on his face.

"1864," I said. "Do you remember that time when you took me to Pearl's apothecary?"

"Serena, what's this about?" Stefan asked from behind me.

"Do you remember?" I asked Damon again, urgently.

"Yeah, so what?" he asked.

"Do you remember her daughter?" I asked, hoping that this was an actual thing that happened and I wasn't just going crazy.

"Yeah, Anna something?"

"Anna?" Stefan asked, a confused look on his face.

"I saw her," I said. "Anna. I saw her at the party last night. She must have injected me with a shit-load of vervain, but it was her, I'm sure of it." Vervain was the herb that was a weakness for all vampires. If it touches us, it burns. If it's injected into our bloodstream, like when Anna injected me, it completely knocks us out. It had only ever happened to me once or twice, but it was the worst feeling in the world. If a human has some on their person (or in their system), it makes them able to resist vampire compulsion.

"It couldn't be her," Damon dismissed. "She wasn't-"

"She was here Damon!" I shouted. "I saw her with my own eyes and she stuck a needle in my neck."

"Who is she?" Stefan asked.

"Katherine's best friend's daughter," Damon said nonchalantly. Then a look passed over his face, a look of realisation.

"What is it?" Stefan asked.

"The tomb," he said. A look passed between the brothers that I couldn't recognise.

"What tomb?" I asked.

Neither of them spoke for a moment, they just stared at each other until Stefan broke eye contact.

"I'll check Bonnie's place," he said, leaving the house within a second. Damon walked into his room and grabbed a shirt to throw on.

"What's going on?" I asked him. "What tomb?"