47. We Fought For Peace and Quiet

It had been two weeks since Steve had left the Avengers, two weeks since he'd moved to Mystic Falls, to stay with the Salvatore's. In those two weeks, there were no Original vampires, no threats made, no humanities turning off, no mysterious missions... everything was quiet.

Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, Matt and Tyler were getting ready for graduation, the rest of us were staying out of trouble.

"It's weird," I said to Steve. "Something bad should be happening."

"I'm pretty sure Elena said something about Jeremy failing his math test, if that counts?" he asked seriously.

"It doesn't." I checked my phone. Despite him promising to call, I'd not heard from Klaus since he'd left. Not that I expected him to be in constant contact, but it made me suspicious. It was as if all the supernatural creatures were lulling us into a false sense of security while they planned something huge to take us down.

"You're paranoid, honey," Steve informed me, a grin on his face. "We've faced everything we could possibly face. We fought for peace and quiet, now we have it."

"Haven't I told you?" I asked. "Nothing in Mystic Falls is ever that simple."

"So what? You're just gonna wait for the next threat that comes along?" he asked, peering at me with a worried look on his face.

"I don't know, isn't that what my life is?" I asked. "Waiting patiently until I have to fight for my life once again? Or the lives of the people that I care about?"

He thought about it, before shaking his head.

"Maybe before, but not anymore," he promised, placing his hand on mine. "Let's go on a date."

"A date?" I asked thoughtfully. "We've never been on a proper date. I don't think I'm good at them." Obviously putting my weird non-date with Diego aside.

"That's the luxury of us," he said. "We skipped all the awkward dating stages, and now we're in the comfortable boyfriend-girlfriend stage."

"And that means that we should go on a date?"

"Why not?" he asked, taking my hand. "Maybe this is the new normal? We get to live without worrying about being vampires or Supersoldiers."

I shrugged. "Fine," I gave in. How horrible could a first date with your boyfriend be, right?

"Good," he said. "Be prepared to get swept off your feet!"

"You're from the 20's," I reminded him. "I'm expecting to be wooed!" I winked.

He kissed me. If this was the new normal, I could get used to it.

...

The phone rang for what felt like hours, before I got his voicemail for the second time. I rolled my eyes – how busy could he be?

"Hey Hybrid, it's me," I said into the phone. "Nothing's wrong, I was just wondering how the whole Marcel thing is going. Are you sure you don't need help? Because everything down here is quiet, too quiet. Everyone's getting on with their lives and... I'm bored." I whispered the last part, not wanting to admit out loud that peace wasn't as fun as action. "Not that I want you to endanger my life in any way, but for the love of God, tell me that your life is more interesting than mine right now. Even if you just call and let me live vicariously through you. Just call me back."

I ended the call, hearing footsteps behind me.

"Hey, who were you talking to?" Caroline asked me.

"Klaus," I said. Who else would I be talking to? Everyone else that I interacted with lived within a 3 mile radius.

"Oh, right," she said, sitting down on my bed. "What is that?"