27. The Best Things Always Happen In Cemeteries

"Wait," I said as the woman began to retreat. "What do you mean? Save who?"

"The witches," she elaborated, before pointing at Marcel. "He has plans for everyone, he rules the Quarter. Save the witches."

"How do I save them?" I asked. "What do you want me to do?"

"Free them," she said. "Witches should never have to operate under the thumb of a vampire. It can only mean bad things."

"Under the thumb?" I asked, looking at Marcel before lowering my voice. "What is he doing with them?"

"Don't trust anyone," she said. "Not with witches business. Especially Klaus Mikaelson."

I was speechless, not sure of what I could say. But it didn't matter, because she retreated and was gone before I could ask her another question. Before I could even find out her name.

Within 3 minutes Klaus was back by my side, leading me towards the car.

"What's your deal with him?" I asked, nodding back towards the bar.

"Hmm?" Klaus mumbled absentmindedly.

"Marcel. You're familiar with him, you're nicer to him than your own family, but you don't trust him, do you?"

"Whatever gives you that impression?" he asked with a smirk.

"Well, you gave him the impression that I was your girlfriend. You didn't tell him about the ritual which suggests that he doesn't know about it. You lied about why we're looking for the Deveraux's-"

"OK," he cut me off as we reached the car. He held my door open for me. "Remember when I told you that I built this city?" he asked.

"How could I forget?" I asked with an eye roll, getting into the car. "What about it?"

He walked around to the other side, getting behind the wheel. "Marcel has taken the city from me. And if I don't abide by his rules, I can't get it back."

...

We arrived at a cemetery, where he stopped the car.

"Because the best things always happen in cemeteries," I commented sarcastically. As I expected, Klaus ignored me, getting out of the car and travelling further into the fog-filled cemetery. I had no choice but to follow him. After all, why was I here?

"Witches!" he called into the void.

"OK, just a quick lesson on 'people skills'," I said, catching up with him. "When you want to find someone specific, maybe calling out a blanket term isn't the best option."

Nevertheless, a group came into view, looking a lot less nervous than I expected them to. In fact, they looked like they were gearing up for a battle.

"Klaus Mikaelson," one of them said. "I always knew that you'd end up back in our neck of the woods one of these days."

"Where is Jane-Anne?" he asked. They didn't answer. Klaus vamp-ran to the woman who'd spoken, his hand around her neck. I expected the witches to descend upon him with their magic, but instead they did nothing but look shocked and scared. Why weren't they using their powers?

"Leave her alone," someone said. She came out, and Klaus immediately loosened his grip on the woman's neck. I assumed this meant that this was Jane-Anne. "Leave this place Klaus."

"Not until I get what I came for," he said. "Vengeance."

"For what?" she asked, clearly shocked. "My family and I have done nothing to you."

"You assured me that the ritual would work," he said. "Thanks to you and your stupid family with your stupid old grimoires, my brother is dead."

She looked down with worry, before glancing at the witches around her. "I don't understand. I'm sure it should have worked. Did you do it right?"

He took a threatening step towards her. "Do you think I'm an idiot?"

She took a worried step back, before continuing. "If the doppelganger is dead, and the Bennett girl is alive, everything should be in working order."

"Well I witnessed the doppelganger's death," he said. "And the Bennett girl is here," he said, looking back at me. Suddenly 15 pairs of eyes were on me, looking me over.

"Wait, she's alive?" one of the witches asked.

"Impossible," another whispered. "The Bennett Grimoire said..."

"What did the Bennett Grimoire say?" Klaus asked softly. They stayed quiet, before Jane-Anne spoke.

"We were told that everyone directly related to Emily Bennett was dead," she said. "If we knew that there was even a chance..."

Klaus turned to her. "So you told me to keep Serena alive, believing that she was already dead?" he took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry Klaus," Jane-Anne said. "I had specific instructions."

"From who?" Klaus asked, not waiting for the answer. He already knew it. Marcel.

"Wait, where are you going?" I asked Klaus as he stormed off.

"I need to have a little talk with my protégé," he said. "Are you coming?" he asked. I looked back to see the witches still watching our every move.

"No, I think I'm gonna stay."

"Fine," he said angrily.

"Promise you'll come back for me," I said. He couldn't leave me in this creepy graveyard with a group of witches, could he?

"Fine," he said again in the same tone. I didn't trust him, but he brought me here for a reason. I was pretty sure that the reason didn't involve leaving me in a foggy graveyard in New Orleans.

I turned back to the witches, my arms crossed.

"What did Marcel do to you guys?" I asked. "Why don't you use magic?"

They all looked at each other, before scattering to separate places in the graveyard.

"Hey, wait!" I said, running forward to try and catch one of them. However, someone grabbed my arm and pulled me towards them. "Hey, stop," I said, half-heartedly. I was curious about where she was taking me.

"I'm Sophie Deveraux," she said. "Are you really her?"

"I'm Serena Salvatore," I said. "Emily Bennett was my aunt."

"That's not possible," Jane-Anne said, joining Sophie. "Every direct relative of Emily Bennett is dead. They have to be."

"Well, I'm not," I said. "Although technically, I did die."

"You're a vampire," Jane-Anne said, grabbing my wrist. "But Emily's blood still runs through your veins."

They looked at each other, before turning back to me.

"Marcel has stopped the witches from doing magic," Sophie said.

"What? That's insane!" I said. Even I knew that the worst thing you could do to a witch was to stop them from doing the one thing that they were born to do.

"We've been waiting for someone, someone who could stand up to him, to represent the witches." They looked at each other again. "We've been waiting for you Serena."

**************************************************

Thanks for reading, let me know if you liked this chapter!

What are your first impressions of the New Orleans witches?