35. I Wasn't Supposed To Be A Vampire

"Serena?" someone called, knocking on my bedroom door. I took another swig from the bottle of vodka in my hand and ignored them.

"It's Stefan," the same voice said.

"Go away."

He ignored me, opening the door anyway.

"I said go away!" I repeated, turning away from him so that he wouldn't have to see my tear-stained face.

"I'm not going anywhere," he said softly. "What happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it." I turned the volume up on my iPod, trying to drown him out, as well as my own thoughts.

He sat on the bed next to me. "Where's Steve?"

I jumped off the bed and walked over to the window, looking out at the late afternoon sky. He'd left early the previous morning and since then, I'd only left my room for alcohol and blood bags.

"I don't care where Steve is."

"Will you just talk to me, please?" he asked. "I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine!" I said. "I don't want to talk to you Stefan."

"I'm sure whatever happened, it's not as bad as you think."

"You have no idea," I sniffed.

"It's about you being a vampire, isn't it?" he asked. "Steve can't handle it."

I nodded. "Yeah, he can't handle it. The 100-year old Supersoldier can't handle it. He waited until after we slept together to admit that he couldn't deal."

"You slept with him?"

"Don't go all 'big brother' on me Stefan. First of all, you're only 2 months older than me. Second of all, it's bad enough to admit that, as the youth of today says, you've been fucked and chucked. But it's so embarrassing to have to say that to your brother. So please just leave."

"Why, so you can drink yourself into oblivion?"

"I'm already there!" I exclaimed. "I was there when I came here. It's like my whole existence is doomed."

"Look, I get why you can't talk to me about this," Stefan allowed. "But what about Elena? Or Caroline?"

"I don't want to talk to anyone. Not Elena or Caroline or anyone else in Mystic Falls," I said. "I just want to be left alone."

"Don't isolate yourself," Stefan said. "I hate seeing you like this."

I threw the bottle of vodka at the wall, watching as alcohol poured down it.

"Get out!" I shouted. I didn't even turn around to see him leave. The satisfaction I felt as the door clicked shut was short-lived.

I was a vampire. I was stronger than any human in the entire world. So why did Steve leaving make me feel like a heart-broken teenage girl?

...

I was sitting on the floor underneath a blanket with the music still blaring 24 hours later when the door knocked again. I didn't answer, assuming that the person would just go away of their own accord. However, they entered the room anyway.

"Go away," I said through tears.

"Hello love," someone said softly. I looked up from beneath the blanket even though I already knew who the voice belonged to.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "Aren't you busy torturing Katherine?"

"Stefan called," Klaus said.