8. Serena Salvatore, Vampire

Music blasted from the speakers and the party was in full swing. I was on my sixth vodka of the night, walking through the room and making sure that nothing was getting broken. As I walked through, I spotted Stefan on his way up the stairs.

"You're done already?" I teased.

"I was done a long time ago!" he shouted over the music. I waved him off as I spotted Elena and Bonnie sitting in the corner chatting, each with a drink in their hands despite being underage. Not that I cared. In fact, I was pretty sure that Damon and I were the only of-age people in the room.

"Watch it!" I said as someone bumped into me and caused me to spill my drink.

"Sorry," the guy said, glancing over me. "I don't think I've seen you here before?"

"No, you haven't," I said, rolling my eyes. This guy looked like the typical alpha-male douche. When you were alive for over a century, you got really good at judging a book by its cover.

"I'm Tyler Lockwood," he said, holding out his hand for me to shake.

"You're the werewolf?!" I gasped, probably a bit too loudly. His cocky facial expression changed to one of worry and he pulled his hand back.

"How do you know that?" he asked. I held out my hand.

"Serena Salvatore, vampire." We shook hands and his grin returned, if a bit wary. He leaned close to me.

"When Caroline told me about you, she never mentioned how hot you are," he whispered.

"Wow, weird," I said, grinning. "But my brother Stefan did warn me to stay away from you. And I'm not totally keen on dying of a werewolf bite."

"That's a rumour," he said. This was true. In all my time I'd never known any vampire to come into contact with a werewolf. But then again, I'd also never heard of a doppelganger before Elena and Katherine, so I guessed anything was possible.

"Well, you are cute, I'll give you that," I said.

"Serena," Caroline said, nudging me. "Someone hot is at the door asking for you."

"We're talking Care. Leave," Tyler said. I turned to the door to see Steve standing there, looking completely out of place. I'd lured him over with the promise of free food and interesting conversation. If I knew so many people were going to turn up (and try to trash the house) I probably wouldn't have bothered.

"Actually, we're not anymore," I said to Tyler. "Go away," I shooed him, much to Caroline's amusement. "How do I look?"

"Stunning," she answered immediately.

I walked casually to the door.

"You made it," I said with a smile.

"I wasn't sure I got the right place," he admitted. "There's a lot of teenagers here."

"Yeah, my friend Caroline went a bit overboard with the invitations. I have it all under control though."

"I thought you wanted me to stay away from you," he said. "Why did you invite me?"

"My friends thought it would be a good idea," I said. If they weren't worried about him finding out our secret, I had no reason to be either. Or at least, that's what I tried to convince myself.

"Well, I'm glad you did. It's really nice to see you again."

"Stop smiling like that," I said. Or rather, drunk Serena slurred.

"What?"

"You have a cute smile. I'm trying not to like you, but your smile is too cute. Why is your smile so cute?"

"You look... amazing," he said, chuckling his way out of the awkwardness that I was creating. "I wish I could stay longer."

"Why can't you?" I asked curiously. A part of me wanted to stop him from ever setting foot in the Salvatore house, but with all the other kids here, he'd never be able to tell the difference between the humans and the vampires.

"Your place was just a stop on the way," he said. It was then that I noticed the bags at his feet.

"You're going somewhere?" I asked. My body instantly became flooded with relief. I wouldn't have to worry about him finding out my secret if he was no longer vacationing at Vampire Central.

"Back to New York. I had to get back to real life sometime."

"Right. Well, good luck and everything," I said. The small part of me that wasn't relieved was sad. Sad that I didn't have time to get to know him, as a friend more than anything else. Who would pass up the chance to be friends with Captain America?

"I don't mean to be forward, but can I have your number?" the cute smile was back. "I don't trust you to call me."

"Hey! I invited you, remember?" I said, grabbing a pen and paper from the mantelpiece (you could say that I was more than a little bit prepared!).

"Thanks. I hope I see you again Serena."

"Me too," I said, shutting the door. It was only then that I realised how true it was, I really did want to see him again.

As I turned away from the door, I spotted someone that looked familiar. I blinked, trying to tell myself that I was seeing things, but when I opened my eyes again, she was still there. But it couldn't be... could it?

...

The year was 1864.

As the illegitimate Salvatore-Bennett love child, I generally tended to stay away from the townspeople. But occasionally, Damon or Stefan convinced me to take a trip out with them. On this day, Damon convinced me to go to the apothecary with him. I went because he was going to see Katherine, the big sister I'd never had.

Damon greeted her with a kiss, as I stood with her best friend Pearl.

"You're growing into a fine young lady," she complimented me.

"Miss Pearl, you've only known me a few weeks," I said with a smile.

"I'm a good judge of character. If you ask me, I think you'll make a fine-"

"Pearl," Katherine cut her off. I was none-the-wiser, not even thinking about the end of Pearl's sentence.

"Serena, why don't you go and talk to Pearl's daughter," Katherine suggested, looking me in the eyes. Immediately my thoughts shifted, and all I wanted to do was speak to Pearl's daughter.

I went to the girl standing outside of the apothecary. I'd never met her before, but I'd seen her many times. She always followed behind Pearl, never saying a word.

"Hi," I said. "I'm Serena."

"Nice to meet you," she said sweetly. "I'm Anna."

...

After the night that Stefan and Damon got shot, I never saw her again. At the time, I had no idea vampires existed, not least that my brothers were being transformed into them. Anna was the furthest thing from my mind.

But, if it wasn't her, the girl at the party could have been her twin. Her style had had an update, her hair was longer and curlier, but she looked the same. Her face hadn't changed in the slightest way. Was it really her? Was that even possible? Why would Anna come back to Mystic Falls?

As I went through 100 different thoughts, I saw her clearly for a second, before she disappeared.

Then I turned around, and she was directly in front of me, holding a needle in her hand.

"Anna?"

**************************************************

Thanks for reading this chapter! Why do you think Anna's back in Mystic Falls?

I have a new story up! It's a Social Media Fic about Paul Wesley called 'Someone In The Crowd', and I'd love it if you could check it out!

Please vote and leave me a comment if you liked this chapter!