29. 500 Years Running From You

"Elena?"

She was sitting at the bar drinking, like she hadn't a care in the world. She even looked slightly different. More... confident. When she didn't respond, I grabbed her arm.

"Serena?!" she asked, a look of complete and utter shock on her face. "What are you doing here?"

"Me?! What are you doing here? Klaus thinks you're dead, remember?"

"Klaus?" she asked, a paranoid look coming over her face. "Klaus is here?"

"Stop answering a question with a question. You came here looking for me, didn't you?"

She hesitated, before clearing her throat. "Yeah, of course. I... tracked you down."

I sat beside her, before remembering who was in the back room. "Elena, if Klaus sees you, he'll kill you. Marcel stopped the ritual from working. If he finds out how to correct it, you'll be the first person he finds. Go back to Mystic Falls."

"Mystic Falls," she said under her breath. "You're right. I should... go back to Mystic Falls. With Stefan."

"And Damon and everyone else, yeah."

She stood up hesitantly, before giving me a smile. "Thank you Serena, I knew I could count on you."

As she walked out of the bar, I reached for my phone and called Stefan.

"Serena!" he said, sounding relieved. "Are you OK?"

"Um, not really. What the hell are you guys playing at?!" I asked, struggling to keep my voice at a normal level.

"What are you talking about?"

"Look, I get that you're all worried about me. But first of all, tracking me to New Orleans was crazy. Second of all, sending Elena to find me when you know that Klaus thinks she's dead is... insane!"

"Elena?" Stefan asked, confused. "What are you talking about?"

"I had to convince her to go back to you guys," I clarified. "She was looking for me."

"Serena, Elena's right here. I'm sitting with her right now."

"That's impossible," I dismissed. "I was just with her. She was right here next to me two minutes ago."

"Sis," Stefan said. "I'm telling you. I'm sitting with Elena right now. Hold on..." I heard some noises that I couldn't make out, then another voice came to the phone.

"Serena?" the voice asked. It sounded like Elena, but it couldn't be... could it?

"E-Elena?" I couldn't think of anything else to say. "I don't understand. How are you doing this?"

"I'm not doing anything."

"You're in Mystic Falls? Right now? You were never in New Orleans?"

"Why would I be in New Orleans?" she asked, before I heard a sharp intake of breath. "Hang on, is this like a cry for help? You're in New Orleans? Do you need us to come and get you?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, just... put Stefan back on please."

She obliged and I heard his voice a moment later.

"See?" he asked.

"I see that I'm going crazy. I must be having hallucinations or something."

"Hallucinations? Why? Is Klaus torturing you or something? Seriously Serena, say the word and I'll be in New Orleans faster than-"

I cut him off. "Klaus isn't doing anything, this is all me. Either I'm going completely crazy, or there are two Elena's."

He didn't say anything. "Hello?" I called down the phone.