11. I Saw An Opportunity

"Hello," I said as the door opened, shielding my face under the cover of the night sky. "I'm sorry to trouble you, but could I use your phone? My battery's completely dead."

The man standing in front of me regarded me suspiciously.

"Sure, come on in," he said, gesturing for me to step inside.

I tried to walk in but was stopped by the invisible barrier. He wasn't the owner of the house.

"Problem?" he asked with a smirk. He knew. He knew what I was.

"OK, let's cut the shit, I came to talk," I said. "I assume you're not in charge?"

"No one tells me what to do," he said seriously. "But I assume you're not in charge either?"

"No, I'm not," I said. "I'm just the distraction."

As I said this, a gunshot rang through the air and pierced a hole in the guy's chest. He fell to the ground.

"You weren't supposed to kill him!"

Tyler lowered the gun. "I saw an opportunity."

"An opportunity to alert them to our presence?" I rolled my eyes. "Go wait in the car Lockwolf, I've got this."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, your services are no longer required."

Following the next part of the plan, I ran around the house and to the back door. An older woman, who I assumed was the owner of the house, lay on the doorstep with a broken neck.

Testing my theory, I waved my arm though the door frame. Yep, she was definitely the owner, the house was now free to enter.

I walked through the house. Or, more appropriately, through the sea of dead bodies - Damon's handiwork. Neither him, nor Alaric (a vampire/ ex-vampire hunter) were anywhere to be found.

I heard a slight movement outside and stood with my back pressed to the wall, ready to attack. Quickly, I threw the door open and saw the last person I expected to see.

"Elena? What are you doing here?!"

"I came to help," she said innocently. I could already tell that this girl was going to be a problem.

"We don't need any help, we have it covered. Go home," I said, as my phone began to ring, making us both jump. Damon.

"Don't tell me there's another problem."

"Have you seen Stefan?" he asked, rushed.

"I'm in the house, which was the plan. Why would I have seen Stefan?" Stefan and Caroline had the job of keeping the car running and examining the perimeter. In other words, stopping any of the vampires from leaving the house and rampaging Mystic Falls just to spite us.

"He's missing."

"Did you check the car?" I asked with an eye roll.

"Do you think I'm an idiot!? He's not there, someone knocked out Caroline, Tyler took her home. I'm searching for the rest of the vampires hidden around here somewhere and Ric is looking for Elena who, somehow, thought coming here would be a good idea. Can you be on Stefan duty?"

"Elena? I'm with Elena right now," I said. Her eyes widened at the mention of her name.

"Well get her out of here!" he said.

"I'm looking for Harper," I reminded him. "And apparently now Stefan. Elena isn't my biggest priority right now."

"Stefan's missing?" she asked, worry filling her words.

"Not missing," I said, trying to be reassuring. "We've just... misplaced him."

"You've misplaced my boyfriend?"

"Look, shut up for a sec," I said, turning my attention back to Damon. "What do you want me to do with her?"

"Send her home!" he said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"And what if I send her outside and those vampires you're searching for drink her dry?"

He thought for a minute, before giving me an exasperated sigh. "Fine. Leave her where she is, I'll send Ric."

"Fine," I said. "She's in the house."

"Fine."

"Stay here," I said to her, turning towards the back door.

"Are you going to find Stefan?" she shouted towards me.

"Don't worry about what I'm going to do. Stay here and wait for Alaric," I warned her.

"No way, I'm coming with you," she said defiantly.

I took a deep breath. "Elena Gilbert. Keep your ass in this house or so help me God, I will feed you my blood and snap your neck!"

"I'm not leaving this place without Stefan. If you leave me here, I'm looking for him anyway. So you can take me with you, or you can explain to Stefan how you got his girlfriend killed."

"Ugh!" I groaned in defeat. She took that as acceptance, following me from the house.

The first thing we saw was a door that looked like it led to a basement. Because no one ever kidnaps someone and puts them in the living room, it has to be the basement!

I silently gestured to the door and went in ahead of her, grabbing her wrist to make sure that she was right behind me.

We walked down the steps slowly, our footsteps light.

"Hey!" someone said from further in the basement. It was too dark to see who was speaking.

"Hello," I said, adopting a scared tone. "We just came from the woods. We're lost, and the door to the house was locked. Can you help us?"

As we got further in and my eyes got better used to the dark, I could see the person waiting for us. I quickened my pace, keeping Elena behind me. As soon as we got close enough, he grabbed one of my arms and bared his teeth. I pushed Elena against the wall and jammed my hand into his chest and pulled his heart out in a swift move - my specialty.

I turned back to Elena, who looked as if she was shaking. Bless her innocence... that would change soon enough.

Slowly, I opened the door that the vampire had been guarding. Someone was sitting with his back to me on a chair, while Stefan was being hung by his arms from the low ceiling.

"He's here," I said to Elena, before running over to him.

"Serena?" he asked weakly.

"I'm here," I said, before realizing that it wasn't Stefan who had called my name. I turned around slowly to face the man sitting in the chair.

"Harper?"

**************************************************

Thanks so much for reading! I update this story every Saturday!

Serena has found Stefan and Harper, but will she be able to get them to safety?

If you liked this chapter, please vote and leave a comment xx