5. Declaring My Undying Love

"He's here? Why is he here?" I whispered to Elena and Bonnie, who both mirrored my shock on their faces.

"Go ask him," Bonnie said.

"And risk him find out what I am?!"

"He's talking to Caroline right now, you're kind of running that risk either way," Elena reminded me. I knew exactly what she meant – I'd known Caroline for about a day and she was one of the most talkative people I'd ever met.

"I'll just go and get her," I heard Caroline say. I took some breaths to steady myself, before inching myself off the bed and walking towards the front door (stopping at the mirror to make sure my hair looked great, of course!).

"Hi," I said, looking up at him and taking pleasure in the fact that he smiled as soon as he saw me. Maybe he was a nice guy that wasn't here to kill me after all.

"Hi," he replied. I didn't need to turn around to know that Elena, Bonnie and Caroline were behind me, listening to every word. I stepped out of the house and shut the door behind me.

"What... what are you doing here?" I asked tentatively.

"You said you were living with your brothers. I checked, the only male Salvatore's in Mystic Falls are Stefan and Damon, at the boarding house. So, I went there and one of them told me that I could find you here."

"Why?" I blurted out.

He blushed. "I kind of, promised my friend Natasha that I'd speak to you."

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"She wants me to date. I haven't spoken to a woman in years. We compromised and I said that I'd make conversation with the first woman to approach me."

"I invaded your table and then ran away," I reminded him. "What about that made you want to find me?"

"Back in New York, all the women treat me... weirdly," he said.

'Because you're Captain fucking America' I added in my head.

"But when you sat down, you were open and friendly. You saw me as a normal guy, rather than the guy that everyone wants to see me as," he said, making me smile. "Until you ran off," he added, laughing slightly.

I grimaced. "Sorry about that. I just got a bit... freaked out."

"Anything you want to talk about?" he asked.

"Just... years of deep-rooted issues," I brushed off. He couldn't remember the last part of our conversation, thanks to Caroline's compulsion. "I assume you came with a few conversation starters?"

He grinned and held up his hand, covered in what I assumed was his own handwriting. Peering closer I could see the words 'favorite color?' and 'Dream job?'

"You came prepared," I admired with a laugh.

"Either that or I'm just the most awkward person in the universe," he said, joining me in laughter.

"Silver," I said. When he looked confused, I continued. "My favorite color."

"Nice," he said. "Unique."

"I have a question for you," I said, voicing the first thing that came to mind. "If you could wake up tomorrow, having gained one quality or ability, what would it be?"

He thought for a moment. "The ability to let things go. I hold on to everything that happens to me for way too long." He smiled. "My turn: When was the last time you cried?"

"A few weeks ago," I answered automatically. "It's a long story."

"Your turn," he said. I loved the fact that neither of us were questioning the other's answers, or trying to find out too much.

"What's your most treasured memory?"

"Anything with my mom. Once, my best friend came to stay. We had dinner and played games and, for a minute, it felt like all three of us were a real, unbreakable family. Then she died, and I haven't really felt that sense of family since."

I wanted to tell him I was sorry, to say anything that would tell him that I knew how he felt, I got it. Instead, I said: "Your turn."

"What's your worst memory?" he asked.

"When I was... younger, my brothers got shot," I said. "They're OK now, thank God, but for a moment there, I lost them. I lost everyone. They don't know that I saw it, but it's always kind of freaked me out."

"That must have been tough," he said sympathetically.

'You don't know the half of it' I thought, realising that maybe this wasn't the best time to admit that our father was behind the trigger.

"OK, last one," I said. "If you were to die right now, what would you regret not having told someone?"

"I'd regret not telling everyone in my life how much I loved them. I'd regret not telling my friends how much I need them. You?"

I thought for a moment, deciding just how honest to be. "I'd regret... not forgiving my brother Damon for everything he's done. I'd regret not telling my brother Stefan how much his letters have meant to me. I'd regret not telling his girlfriend not to break his heart. I'd regret not telling you how nice you are," I said, looking up at him. "Or that you don't need to force yourself to speak to a girl, you're pretty good at it. But also, don't go for the girls that fall at your feet. Go for the girl who tells you that she doesn't like you like that, or that she'd never date you. Because the best love, true love, never comes easy." I smiled and turned back in the direction of the house.

"Wait, where are you going?" he asked, walking with me.

"You shouldn't be here Steve," I said. "Look, it was nice of you to come, but-"

"Serena," he cut me off. "I chose you for a reason. Do you think you're really the first woman to speak to me since I've been in Mystic Falls?"

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying, I came here because I wanted to know more about you. You're... different Serena."

Of course I was different, I had vampire blood running through my veins! "Bullshit. You've met me twice. You know nothing about me."

"I'm not declaring my undying love for you!" he said, making me laugh. "I'm just saying... I like you."

"Steve, I'm doing this for you. You don't want to be with me. Please just leave," I said, placing my hand on the doorknob. He grabbed my hand and held it in his for a moment, showing me how we fit together. Then he leaned down and kissed me sweetly on the cheek. There were no fireworks, it wasn't a magical kiss that children read about in fairy tales. So why was my heart racing? Why was my head spinning?

"Call me?" he asked, holding up a card that he's already written his number on.

"You're making a mistake," I said, taking the card and pocketing it.

"I'll take my chances." He walked away from me, giving me a wave. I leaned against the door, wondering how I got myself into this mess. Normal vampires fell for other vampires. Not-so-normal vampires fell for humans. But me, I had to go and fall for a superhero. How was I getting myself out of this one?

**************************************************

Thanks for reading this chapter!

What do you think? Should Serena give Steve a chance? Or should she stay far away from him?

Leave me a comment and vote if you liked this chapter!