52. Pandering To The Whims Of Niklaus

"Am I allowed to be annoyed that you're leaving with him?" Steve asked, watching me pack a suitcase. "Again?"

I sighed, walking up to him and placing my arms around his neck.

"You have no reason to be annoyed," I said. "Klaus is taking me to New Orleans to meet a witch who can help me, with my powers." Since Bonnie had completed the ritual, the power that I'd felt was immense. However, actually being able to use that power was a different story.

"You need help?"

"You're kidding right?" I asked him. "I have no idea what I'm doing. My aunt was supposed to teach me everything when I turned 18 but..." I trailed off, not wanting to relive bad memories. "Anyway, I'd love to meet a powerful witch. The fact that Klaus knows her is... purely coincidental."

I kissed him, before going back to packing.

"Can I come?" he asked hopefully.

I laughed. "You won't enjoy it at all. It'll just be me and this witch working on spells. If anything, you'll probably be really bored."

He took my hand. "I won't be bored if I'm there with you."

"You're so freaking sweet!" I said happily. "OK, you can come. But I warn you, we're gonna be in the car with Klaus for a long time."

He rolled his eyes.

"I know you don't like him," I said. "But can you at least try and get along? For my sake?"

"You want me to try and get along with a murderer? A homicidal maniac? A-"

"Vampire?" I filled in the blank, putting my hands on my hips.

"I didn't mean that," he said. "There are good vampires. Like Caroline, or your brother Stefan."

"And there are bad vampires," I countered. "Like my brother Damon, or my best friend Klaus. Or me."

"Oh, Serena," he said, hugging me. "You're nothing like Klaus. I wouldn't still be here if you were."

I pressed my face into his chest, trying to block out the unwanted thoughts. If Steve discovered even half of the bad things I'd done, would he still want to be with me?

"Come on," I said, shaking the thoughts away. "Get packing. Klaus is waiting."

...

"You ready love?" Klaus asked, grabbing my suitcase from me and throwing it in the trunk.

"Almost," I said, looking around warily. "Listen. Steve wants to come with us. So you have to be on your best behaviour!"

He rolled his eyes. "Your boyfriend doesn't trust me, does he?"

"He has good reason not to!" I reminded him playfully. "You may be my best friend

, but you'll never stop being Klaus Mikaelson."

He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped as Steve came out of the Salvatore house and walked towards the car.

"Klaus," he said. "I know we don't see eye to eye, but we should try to be civil. For Serena's sake."

I could sense just how badly Klaus wanted to make a sarcastic comment. Instead, he cleared his throat.

"For Serena's sake," he agreed.

I slipped into the passenger side of the car. This was going to be the most awkward car journey in history. And I was around when the car was invented!

...

We arrived in New Orleans after hours of awkward silences and the occasional back-and-forth snarky comment. In fact, I was thankful for the fresh air.