33. Over And Over Again

I locked the last bolt, securing Katherine to the chair that we kept in one of the cells in the basement of the Salvatore house. As I was the one who snapped her neck, I was picked to babysit her while the others came up with some sort of plan. To be honest, I wasn't too upset about my designated role – maybe I'd finally get some answers out of her.

"Ugh," she groaned when she finally woke up. She tried to move her arms, then fought against the chains that were keeping her in place.

"They're reinforced," I informed her. "Struggling against them just wastes your energy."

She frowned. "You've changed. You never would have done this to me in 1864."

"There's a lot of things I never would have done in 1864," I informed her. "I'm older and wiser now. If you do anything to Steve, I won't think twice about taking you out."

"You won't do anything to me," Katherine said.

I sat on the chair facing hers. "How can you be so sure?" I asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Have you told your brothers yet?" she asked with a smirk.

"What are you talking about?" I asked her, hoping that she wasn't going where I thought she was. I'd all but erased that day from my memory.

"What? You don't remember?" she asked, a playful glint in her eye. "Because I do."

...

"You were right. Your brothers are... a challenge," Katherine said.

"I told you," I responded with a laugh. "They don't have time for romance."

"You've got that right," she said, sitting on her bed and staring at me. "But not you. You're different. A romantic."

"You know that just by looking at me?" I asked.

"You have an aura. I like it."

I looked at her and stifled a grin. Hanging out with Katherine Pierce had brought out a different side of me. I was happier, more willing to dance and wear pretty dresses. I felt like a different person since she'd come into my life.

"Life would be so much easier if girls could just date other girls," she said. "We wouldn't have to put up with any boy's tricks."

"Yeah," I agreed. "It's not possible though, is it? I mean, that... stuff is completely unheard of."

She didn't say anything, instead standing up to look at herself in the mirror. She was wearing a formal dress, with a corset attached – a norm for girls at this time. She reached behind her back, struggling to take the dress off.

"Help me with this please Serena?" she asked. I obliged automatically, I'd have done anything for her.

I stood behind her and undid her dress until she was standing in her undergarments. She turned to face me, and our eyes met.

"I should go," I said, slightly breathlessly. She nodded, taking a step towards me as the rise-and-fall of her chest increased.

She leaned towards me, and we kissed.

I pulled away from her with wide eyes, turning away. What had I just done? If my father ever found out about the sin I'd just committed, I didn't know what I'd do.

"Hey, look at me," Katherine said softly, taking my hand. I turned to face her. "Don't be afraid, we're doing nothing wrong."

In that moment, I truly believed with all my heart that we were doing nothing wrong. I took her face in my hands and kissed her. The kiss became passionate extremely quickly, our hands roaming over each other's bodies. She ripped my own formal dress off until we were both standing wearing almost identical underwear. She led me to the bed and laid me down, her leaning over me. Veins began to bulge under her eyes, and she bared pointed teeth.