30. Being A Good Vampire Is Overrated

Klaus led me to a café, where we sat in a dark corner and he ordered 'two coffees please, love'.

"Come on then," I said. "Tell me."

"Tell you what?" he asked.

"You know what," I said. "Who put the curse on you in the first place? And how is Katherine Pierce suddenly involved?"

"How do you know about Katherine Pierce?" he asked.

"Don't change the subject," I said. "Just answer the questions."

"Fine," he said. "When my siblings and I were young, my mother Esther, a witch, made us immortal so that she'd never have to lose one of us. She turned us into vampires. However, after I made my first kill, I learned of my true parentage – my father was a werewolf."

"So you were a vampire that turned into a wolf every full moon?" I asked.

"That's the idea," he said. "I was the strongest creature on the earth because my bite could kill a vampire. But this scared my mother, she couldn't believe what she'd forced me to become. So she created a spell that would leave my werewolf side... dormant."

"So you'd never have to turn?" I asked, to which he nodded.

"But that wasn't enough for her. Witch blood ran through our veins, and when Rebekah started exhibiting signs of being able to do magic, she put a stop to it. With another spell. A curse. One that meant that no vampire would ever be able to become both."

"The curse that you've been trying to break," I said. "Yeah, I get it. But there's still so much that doesn't add up. Like Katherine."

"One of the components to bind the spell was the blood of the doppelganger. This made my mother feel safe, because you never know when the next doppelganger will pop up."

"So there were doppelgangers back then?" I asked.

"Her name was Tatia. She was a Petrova doppelganger, just like Katherine Pierce and Elena Gilbert. My mother used her blood to create the curse, which led to her death."

"So that you couldn't find a way to reverse it," I said.

"Right. So I lived as a vampire-Hybrid that couldn't turn. My bite kills vampires, my blood heals them, but I can't become a wolf."

The waitress came over and refilled our coffees. I was so engrossed in the story that I hadn't even realized I'd been drinking mine.

"My family met Katherine just before the 1500's. She was human, the spitting image of Tatia. When we discovered that there was a way to break the curse, I wanted to use her there and then, but Elijah thought he was in love with her. He took some persuading, but eventually he realized that we'd be using her for the greater good. However, before we could use her, she found out about our plans and ran away."

"Elijah told her?" I guessed.

"Why do you say that?" Klaus asked, a weird expression on his face.

"You just said that he was in love with her. Why wouldn't he try to save her?"

"Katherine Pierce, or Katerina Petrova, as she was known then, had a lot of admirers. Anyway, by the time I found her, she'd managed to turn herself into a vampire, meaning that her blood would no longer work for the spell."

"But you were angry," I filled in the blanks. "So she had to go on the run. Crushing and stepping on everyone who got in her way so that she could save herself rather than having you find her. She ruined lives because of you."

"Why do I feel like you know more about Katherine Pierce than you're letting on?" Klaus asked, his face full of interest.

"My turn for storytime?" I asked, to which he smiled. "OK, so, I met the doppel-bitch in the late 1800s. She came to town like a whirlwind, fell in love with both of my brothers, fed them her blood and turned them. Then she pretended to be in a church that got burned down, probably so that you'd stop looking for her. And that's as much as I know."