50. The Problem Is You

Bonnie was letting us use her house to complete the ritual. We had the place to ourselves – I'd asked everyone to let us do it in private. Caroline and Steve were reluctant, but eventually they agreed. Bonnie sat in the middle of the floor, placing unlit candles around her. Klaus and I watched her uncertainly.

"It's not too late to back out, love," Klaus said in a low voice.

I looked him straight in the eyes. "I'm not backing out."

"Spell book," Bonnie requested from Klaus. He gave her an ancient-looking grimoire. She flipped it to the right page and looked at the spell in question.

"OK, we need the blood of a witch, an Original, and the human doppelganger. Please tell me you have some of Elena's human blood?"

I looked at Klaus, worried. What if we couldn't complete the ritual because I turned Elena?

"I do," Klaus said, handing Bonnie a vial of blood.

"You kept some of Elena's blood?" I asked him, hiding my relief. "That's so gross!"

"Well, if you hadn't turned Elena into a vampire, I wouldn't need to have her blood to hand," he smirked.

"Maybe if you hadn't turned my humanity off, I wouldn't have turned her," I argued back.

"Guys, I need to concentrate," Bonnie said quietly. We both shut up, giving each other mocking looks.

Bonnie poured Elena's doppelganger blood into a bowl. Then, stabbing herself in the palm, she added her own blood to the mixture. "Klaus," she called. He obeyed (for probably the first time in his life), biting his wrist and adding his own blood. She swirled the blood around in the bowl, before turning to me.

"Come and sit here, in front of me," she said. I did what she asked, as she placed the bowl of blood in front of me. "Once you start drinking the blood, I'll do the spell that will link your lifeform with Klaus's. When it's done, you'll be a witch. The spell is irreversible, so for the last time Serena, do you really want to do this?"

Since I'd agreed to do this, I'd tried to talk myself out of it, tried to see all of the bad things that could come from this. But none of them outweighed the good. I wanted to be a witch again more than I had ever wanted anything since James had refused to turn.

"I'm sure," I confirmed. "I want to do this."

I caught Klaus's eye and he gave me a nervous smile. It was the first time I'd ever seen that look on his face.

"Drink," she said softly.

I picked up the bowl, trying to ignore the fact that it contained my whole future. The second the blood touched my lips, Bonnie started doing the spell.

"Phasmatos pythonissam immortalem sanguis semper vinctum."

She repeated the words over and over again, closing her eyes. The candles in the room lit themselves, burning brightly and filling the room with light and smoke.

I could feel the blood bubbling inside of me, my lips tingling with the taste of it. In fact, my whole body was tingling, changing. It was like I had pins and needles all over. The sensation was intense to say the least.

As I finished the last drop, Bonnie stopped speaking and the room went dark. The tingling sensation vanished and we sat in silence.

"How do you feel?" Klaus asked me.

I frowned. "I don't know. Different."

"Did it work?" he asked Bonnie, not taking his eyes off of me.