46. Love, Heartbreak, Anger and Pain

"How do you walk in the sun?" Nick Fury asked me again.

I thought about giving another snarky comment, but I didn't know how short his temper was. One wrong word and the Avengers would be on their way to Mystic Falls. And I'd be here, stuck in this cage, waiting for this guy and his armed helpers to kill me.

"My aunt was a witch," I informed him. "She took care of it."

"So you're saying that you're the only one?" he asked. "The only vampire that can walk during the day?"

"No," I said. "Other vampires found other ways, it's not the 1800s any more."

"What do you want with Steve?" he asked. "Are you planning to kill him?"

"Of course not!" I said angrily.

"Are you using him to obtain government secrets?"

"No!"

"Are you trying to infiltrate the team?"

"No!"

"Then why are you with him?!" he shouted. "What's in it for you?"

"I like him, OK?!" I shouted my response. "He's a good guy, one of the best guys I've ever met. And I like him."

Nick Fury chuckled. "You really expect me to believe that one of the deadliest creatures in the world just happened to fall for a superhero?"

"The irony is astounding," I said sarcastically. "Why don't you ask Steve about this? He's the one that pursued me. I tried to break it off with him more than once."

"I don't need to," he said. "The team gave me everything I need to know about you."

"The team?" I asked, confused. "The Avengers? They told you?" I'd been under the impression that Nick Fury was the one that told the team about vampires, not the other way around.

"When Steve came home from his vampire-hunting trip to Virginia with talk of meeting a mysterious woman, naturally they were curious."

"Vampire hunting?" I asked, my mind going back to when I'd first met Steve. I'd compelled him to forget what he was in town for, leading him to believe that he was on vacation.

"We'd heard rumors about the 'creatures of the night'," Nick informed me. "We sent him to see if there was any truth. But when we realized that he'd forgotten what he was even doing in your town in the first place, it made us suspicious."

"I made him forget for the good of everyone," I admitted. "Humans who know about vampires have two options, they turn, or they get killed."

"I made sure I knew everything about our threat before I told the team what we were looking for. It took months of research."

"It took you months of research to find out that we don't sleep in coffins?" I asked, a smile spreading onto my face. I didn't care who Nick Fury thought he was, he was no match for any vampire.

"I'm willing to let you go," he said. "You can leave here free, go back to your town and continue to live your life."

"What's the catch?" I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. Wasn't there always a catch?

"Make him forget," he said solemnly. "About you, about your town, your world. Let Steve live his life as if he'd never met you."

"No," I immediately shook my head.

"This isn't about you anymore," he said. "Do you think it'll be easy for Steve to continue to save the world from any and all supernatural threats if he gets into bed with a vampire every night?"