51. Always Have, Always Will

"You killed Emily Bennett?!" Bonnie shouted angrily.

"Wow! And everyone thinks I'm the homicidal one!" Klaus said, trying and failing to hide a smile.

"This isn't funny!" Bonnie said, catching sight of his face.

"Lighten up love," he said to her. "Vampires kill people. It's life."

"I understand that. In case you didn't know, all of my best friends are now vampires!" she said. "But how are we supposed to unblock Serena's magic if Emily is dead?"

"I'm sorry," I said to Bonnie. "I blocked that memory so long ago that I didn't even think it would matter."

"Well it does," she said. "She's my most powerful ancestor. The witches aren't going to let this go easily."

"So what do we do?" Klaus asked her.

"Kiss your ritual goodbye?" Bonnie answered without missing a beat.

"Maybe you should kiss your life goodbye?" Klaus responded angrily.

"You're not helping," I said to Klaus, before addressing Bonnie. "Look, there must be something that we can do."

"No, there's not," she informed me. "It's not like you can go down the street and apologize to her. It's not like I can send you to the Other Side."

I gave Klaus the rebellious look of mine that he knew all too well.

"No, no way," he said.

"What?" Bonnie asked, looking between us frantically.

"Can you?" I asked. "Can you send me to the Other Side?"

"It's a stupid idea," Klaus said.

Bonnie looked thoughtful. "I mean, theoretically, maybe. Without killing you, and Klaus too? I don't know."

"Can you try?" I asked pleadingly.

"Love, in case you've forgotten," Klaus reminded me. "Our lives are connected, whether you're a witch or not."

"She can do it without killing me," I said. "I know she can."

"You have a lot more faith in her than I do," Klaus said, his voice low.

"I can try," she said. "But even if I don't kill you, I can't guarantee that I can keep you in the Other Side long enough to be able to find her."

"I'll find her," I said surely. "I have to."

"And what if you fail?" he asked me.

"If I fail..." I hesitated. "Then Bonnie will bring me back and we'll find another way. And if Bonnie fails... she'll do everything in her power to make sure that you survive, whatever it takes."

"No I won't," she said. "I'm doing this for you. If you die, all of this has been for nothing."

"Then make sure I don't die," I told her.

She sighed, biting her lip nervously. "I can send you to the Other Side," she said. "I can make sure that your spirit gets there, and that your heart in this world, still beats. Even if I can't bring you back, your heart will still be beating. So Klaus will be fine."

"This is an idiotic plan," he informed us. "Too much can go wrong."

I grabbed his hand. "I have to do this," I told him. "If I don't, then Bonnie right. All of this will have been for nothing."

He glanced at our hands, before looking back at me.

"If this works," he said softly. "It'll be the last time I'll allow you to be so reckless with your life."