7. Eternity With Someone Like You

I surveyed myself in full length mirror in my room. I was wearing a black bodycon mini-dress with slinky straps and black stilettoes. My make-up was done to perfection and, if I say so myself, I was looking hot. Caroline would definitely approve.

I walked downstairs and spotted Stefan sitting on the sofa, sulking.

"We're gonna have a good night," I promised him.

"Aren't we a bit old for the 'teen party' thing?" he asked. Stefan had always been the kind of guy to prefer a good book over a big party. Damon and I were the opposite, partying was second-nature to us.

"Oh brother," a voice said from the kitchen. "You're never too old for a party."

Damon came into view, a smirk on his face.

"For once, I actually agree with him," I said. "And if you really hate it, just go and hide in your room."

The doorbell rang and Stefan went to answer it, ignoring both of us. I pointed to Damon and gestured for him to follow me upstairs. We went to my room and I shut the door behind us.

"I need you to do me a favour tonight," I said. He didn't say anything, waiting for me to finish my request. "Stay away from Elena."

His face formed a confused expression. "Why would I go anywhere near Elena?"

"You can drop the act. I was there when you promised Stefan an eternity of misery. I know there's a lot of bad blood between you guys, but leave Elena out of it."

"I haven't done anything to Elena," he said.

"She told me that you guys had a 'moment', you're obviously trying to mess with her head. Just, not her. Not tonight."

"You know nothing about me and Elena," he said. I knew from experience that we were only a few exchanges away from a full-blown argument, but I didn't care.

"No, I don't. But I do know that Stefan deserves to be happy. Elena makes him happy, and I won't let you ruin that for him, OK?" I turned to leave the room.

"I'm the one ruining his happiness?" Damon asked, making me turn back to face him. "What about you?"

"You're joking right?" I asked with a laugh. "All I've ever wanted was for him to be happy!"

"Really? Is that why you left him 50 years ago?"

I rolled my eyes. "I was with him through the ripper stage, I was there when you left time and time again. I had a chance at happiness with James and I took it. Stefan understood."

"Sure he did," Damon said, an annoying look on his face. "At first. But then you left. You ignored his letters, you never came to visit. We never saw you again."

I didn't say anything. It was true, I'd left and never really looked back. At the time, I tried to tell myself that I was doing it for them, and for my own happiness. But when I heard that Damon was rampaging without his humanity on and Stefan had left Mystic Falls on his own, I didn't try to get in contact. I wanted nothing to do with them.

"I did what I thought was best... for everyone," I said.

"Face it Serena, you're selfish. The only reason you're even back here is because James died. Didn't you ever think about why he never wanted to turn? Who'd want eternity with someone like you?"

"Stop," I said. "That's not true." It couldn't be true, could it?

"I may have promised Stefan an eternity of misery, but you're the one that delivered it."

I waited for him to walk past me, before punching him in the back of the head, causing him to hit his head against the door. He retaliated by grabbing me and holding me against the wall by my neck, anger in his eyes. I hit him over and over until his nose and cheek were bleeding, but he kept a tight hold on my neck.

"Let go of me," I said. When he refused, I jammed my hand into his chest, my fingers an inch or two away from his heart. His hold on my neck was released, but I didn't remove my hand. Having him in such a vulnerable position, it made me think of all the times we'd fought, all the mistakes he'd made, all the times he'd hurt me and Stefan. Wouldn't I be doing the world a favour by ripping his heart out right now?

"Serena," Stefan said. I hadn't even realised he was in the room. Caroline was standing behind him, her eyes wide with worry. "Let him go."

"Why?" I asked, tears stinging my eyes. "He's caused us nothing but pain."

"He's your brother," Caroline said. "You'd never be able to forgive yourself."

Reluctantly, I removed my fingers from his chest. He fell to the ground, coughing but otherwise OK. My hands were stained with his blood.

The doorbell rang again. Caroline backed out of the room and went to answer it. I could hear her speaking to Elena and Bonnie, who had shown up early to help prepare.

"What's wrong?" Elena asked.

"Oh, apart from Serena trying to kill Damon, nothing. Nothing at all."

"Really?" Bonnie asked.

"I don't know what happened, but he obviously pushed her to the edge. If his own sister wants to kill him, maybe that's a sign that he's a bad guy."

"I'm sorry," I said softly, not even sure who I was speaking to.

"What the hell happened?" Stefan asked.

"I was just telling our sister some home truths," Damon said, walking towards the door.

"Don't test me," I said, shaking slightly. "I am not in the mood to be messed with."

With Damon gone, Stefan gently grabbed my wrists and led me to the bathroom. He put my hands under the faucet and began running warm water into them, rubbing the blood off in the same way that Damon used to do for us when we played in the mud as kids.

"Do you hate me?" I asked him.

He looked at me, clearly surprised by my question. "Why would I hate you?"

"I left you," I said. "You needed me, but I was in Atlanta living this perfect life, and you were alone. I've been a bad sister." When we were growing up, Stefan and I were practically twins, that's how our family saw us. Damon was the older brother that looked after us. When we turned, everything changed.

"Serena, I needed you to live that perfect life," he said. "There were some dark moments, but I was fine. I had Damon, and Zach, and Lexi. And even when I had no one, knowing that you were OK, that you were happy, that was enough."

"I was happy," I said. "Your letters made me happy. I always felt connected to you."

"Because we are connected. We always will be," he said. "And I know that Damon isn't your favorite person, but there's something there. He'd do anything to protect us, even if he'd never admit it."

This is when I should have told him about Damon and Elena's 'moment', but I couldn't do it. Elena loved him, and he loved Damon. It would cause more harm than good to stir shit up.

I grabbed him into a hug, wrapping my arms tightly around him.

"Love you," he whispered into my ear.

"You too," I whispered back.

There was a tentative knock at the door, before Caroline, Elena and Bonnie came in.

"Everything OK?" Elena asked.

"Of course," I said, wiping my eyes. Without saying anything, Caroline walked towards us and wrapped me in a hug. Elena and Bonnie followed suit until we were in a huge group hug, Stefan looking on and smiling.

"Right, that's enough of that," I said. "It's party time!"

I assumed that my fight with Damon would be worst thing that would happen that day. Then the party started...

**************************************************

Thanks so much for reading!

What do you think is going to happen at the party? Can anything ever go right in Mystic Falls?

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter!