21; why life is so good

'the question isn't 'who's going to let me?' the question is 'who's going to stop me?''-ayn rand

-ayn rand

"He said it had a tail!?"

Stiles was silenced by another smack on his arm, which made him whine as he rubbed his arm.

"You've got to stop hitting me!" He whisper-yelled, raising his hands in self defence.

"Maybe if you weren't so obnoxiously loud, I wouldn't hit you so much," Charlotte said through gritted teeth, watching Scott and Allison go up the climbing wall, "yes, he said it had a tail. Jesus, we leave for five minutes from that spooky-ass Lahey house, and a 'snake-looking-thing' attacks? This can't be a coincidence."

Stiles shrugged, looking up at the wall as he casually commented, "maybe it killed Lahey."

Charlotte's eye widened, looking at the floor before she looked up to Stiles, "what if-" but she was interrupted with her twin falling from the climbing wall, being stopped merely an inch from the ground before he collapsed against it. She shook her head as she looked up to Allison, who was looking sheepish as she kicked off the wall too. Choruses of laughter ruptured through the crowd.

"Alright, next two!" Coach called, "Stilinski. Erica. Let's go."

Stiles nodded as he saw his weaker competitor, rushing to the wall. As he left, Charlotte had perfect sight of the smaller blond hair girl, with small patches of acne on her face. Her mind flared as she remembered seeing her in the diner before, with a mother, or maybe an aunt. Most of the time, she was alone.

The girl, while timid, seemed determined to climb the wall. But by the time Stiles as abseiling down, she had barely left the bottom. She whimpered, and Charlotte's ears perked as she could hear the girl in trouble so clearly. She began to hyperventilate, and Charlotte took a step forward in concern.

"Erica! Dizzy? Is it vertigo?" Coach yelled up at her, as her breathing became more uneven.

"Vertigo's dysfunction of the vestibular system of the inner ear," Lydia stated, as if it was the most obvious thing.

"Yeah, like benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, which causes waves of dizziness and sends signals to your brain that warp your sense of gravity," Charlotte retorted, and Lydia nodded proudly.

"Erica," Coach called up again, as people in the crowd began to laugh. Charlotte turned to them, shutting them up with a sharp glare.

""I'm fine," Erica's words echoed through Charlotte's head.

"Coach I don't think it's safe. You know she's epileptic?" Allison said, as the Coach spluttered, "why doesn't anybody tell me this stuff? Erica, y-you're fine. Just kick off from the wall, there's a mat to catch you."