30; cut the crap

what you are afraid to do is a clear indication of the next thing you need to do

-ralph waldo emerson

Scott and Charlotte were in Deaton's office late at night, waiting for Derek to show up. Charlotte walked over to the door behind Scott as he unlocked to door to let Derek in.

"What is he doing here?" Charlotte frowned as she spotted Isaac behind Derek.

"I need him," Derek answered as he walked past her.

"What is she doing here?" Isaac frowned mockingly, earning a glare from Charlotte.

"I need her," Scott smiled sarcastically at him, walking to where Derek was waiting, "I don't trust him."

"Yeah, well, he doesn't trust you either," Isaac sighed.

"You know what? Derek really doesn't care," Derek snapped, looking between Charlotte and Scott, "now where's the vet? Is he gonna help us or not?"

"That depends," Deaton said, crossing his arms as he leant against the door frame, "your friend Jackson. Are we planning to kill him or save him?"

"Save him," Charlotte said, as Derek said, "kill him."

She turned to glare at him as he did the same to her, "save him." Derek sighed as she turned back to look at Deaton, nodding, "save him."

Deaton brought them into his back room, sitting a tray of little jars, each filled with unrecognisable powders. Charlotte stood between Isaac and Scott as she looked at the tray, and Isaac's hand reached out to touch them, but Derek grabbed his hand to stop him, "watch what you touch."

"So, what are you?" Isaac asked as he leaned down on the table, smirking, "some kind of witch."

"No. I'm a veterinarian," Deaton said with a smile that was so obviously fake, it made Charlotte snort back a laugh as she cleared her throat, "unfortunately I don't see anything that's going to be an effective defence against a paralytic toxin."

"We're open to suggestions," Derek said as Isaac frowned, "what about an effective offence?"

"No we already tried. I nearly took its head off and Argent emptied an entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up."

"Has it shown any weaknesses?" Deaton asked, and Derek nodded, "well, one, it can't swim."

"Does that go for Jackson as well?" Deaton questioned, and Charlotte frowned as she sighed, "no. Quite the opposite actually. He's the captain of the swim team."

Charlotte, at this moment, didn't know what to do, or how to feel. Yeah, her and Jackson had history, but that's all in the past. They were friends, and not they're not. But there was something inside her that told her he couldn't die. That if he did, she wouldn't be able to get back up again. That she can't suffer the loss of loved ones anymore.