45; a reality check

'i've decided to make myself strong

'i've decided to make myself strong. as far as i can tell, that's all i can do.'
-haruki murakami

Scott sat at his desk, studying, while Charlotte lay on his bed, reading out from the textbook to text him on certain vocabulary. They both had fries beside them, curtsy of Joe's Diner.

"Ambiguous," she read, and Scott humans as he finished a fry, "unclear, or vague."

"Feasibility." He frowned, "something about being practical. How practical or possible something is?"

"Right again," she said, leaning back against the head of the bed, "geriatric."

"An adjective that relates to old age," Scott replied, and Charlotte smiled, "Scott, you're seriously nailing these. Why am I even helping you study? In fact, why are you still studying? You could do your SATs right now and do well."

"Because you can always improve. Plus, it's an excuse for us to hang out. Between actual school time, and our jobs, and all the crazy things that happen, we never get to just hang out like we used to," he said, and she smiled softly, "if you really wanna hang out like we used to, you need your braces, and I need my glasses, and we need Stiles, and we'll go galavanting around Beacon Hills, causing trouble."

Scott smiled, "just like the the good old days."

"Hey, why don't you apply for one of those sports scholarships? I know it's a little early to think about it, but you've got the grades, and you're great at lacrosse. It would be amazing," Charlotte suggested, making Scott hum in thought, "I hadn't thought of that. Speaking of college, didn't Mrs Morells say something to you about early admissions? What does that mean?"

"Means I can go to university a year or two early. Cause I'm such a smarty pants, and cause I would fit into their 'minority program'," she said, using air quotes around the word, "didn't think it would ever be of use to me, but hey, minorities rule."

"Amen to that," Scott pointed at her, before sighing, "Sarah Lawrence still the plan?"

"It has been since I was six," Charlotte hummed, smiling, "Architecture and Design, with a minor in English Literature."

"I'm gonna miss you if you go to New York," he practically pouted, making her laugh, "then why don't you come with? Or hey, if I don't get into Sarah Lawrence College, I'll have applied to some schools around here as well, so we might end up together."

"You and I both know you're gonna get into that college. They'd be insane to refuse you," Scott scoffed. Both McCalls looked to the bedroom door when there was a knock, and Scott spoke up, "come in, mom."

However, the door opened to reveal Isaac, a very drenched Isaac, standing on the other side, shivering as he spoke, "hey, uh, can I ask a favour? I don't have anywhere else to stay..."

"What? What happened?" Charlotte frowned, standing and going into Scott's bathroom to grab a large towel, before walking over to Isaac and slinging it over him, "I thought you were staying with Derek?"