36; snowglobes

mastering others is strength

mastering others is strength. mastering yourself is true power.
-lao tzu

Charlotte winced as Scott was thrown against a pile of crates. Jackson turned then to claw at Isaac, going for Derek soon after. She swung her sword in Jackson's direction, not expecting him to duck and shove her back into Scott, who was just getting onto his feet.

"We're getting our asses handed to us here!" Scott said, helping his twin up as he lunged for Jackson again. Charlotte grunted as she was shoved back by Jackson again, tumbling back, "that's cause we're trying to be stronger. He's too powerful. Try to be smarter."

None of the men responded to what she said, but Isaac clearly tried to take notice of what she said, trying to claw at Jackson's legs, but that failed as Jackson kicked him away.

Charlotte helped Isaac up, watching as Derek came at Jackson from above, flipping back against a pillar to slash at the Kanima. She watched as it threw Derek against the metal wall there, feeling a wave of adrenaline flow through her as she lifted her shortsword, slashing at Jackson, who managed to avoid every hit.

He threw Charlotte to the floor, Scott lunging at him. She now had a busted lip and a cut on her forehead, but those were the least of her problems right now. She watched her brother struggle against the Kanima, seeing Derek lunge for him once Scott was thrown against a wall.

Derek wasn't as fortunate as Scott was, the Kanima slashing him across the stomach with its venom so he fell to the floor, partially paralysed. Isaac fell to the floor beside Charlotte, who looked confused till she saw Allison approached a paralysed Derek with two blades.

It was like Charlotte had been burned with a fire poker; she moved that quickly. In an instant, she was standing between Derek and Allison, her hand on her sword. "Don't," Charlotte said, and Allison scoffed bitterly. And at that moment, Charlotte could see less of the girl she knew, and more of the monster Gerard created.

Before she could say anything, Allison's daggers were pulled from her hands as the Kanima held its claws tightly around her neck, keeping her in place.

"Not yet sweetheart," Gerard said, walking into the room to chaos. "What are you doing?" Allison said, confused and hurt at her grandfather's betrayal.

"He's doing what he came here to do," Scott answered, startling Gerard. "Then you know," he said, and Allison frowned, "what is he taking about?"

Gerard looked between the two twins with a knowing look, "it was that night outside the hospital, wasn't it? When I threatened your sister. I knew I saw something in your eyes. You could smell it, couldn't you?"

"He's dying," Isaac spoke as he sat up, healed. Gerard looked to him, "I am. I have been for a while now. Unfortunately, science doesn't have a cure for cancer yet. But the supernatural does."