When He Cries

A/N: It's been a very bad day. 

****

He suddenly woke up with a start. He was drenched in sweat and there were tears in his eyes. With a shaky hand, he wiped away the sweat from his forehead. Glancing to his side, he saw that you were still lying peacefully beside him. He sighed, relieved. It had all been a dream. No, a nightmare.

"Steve?" he heard you whisper, stirring beside him. You rubbed your eyes you she looked up at him. Frowning, you struggled to sit up. "Everything okay?" you asked.

He suddenly engulfed you in his arms, holding you close. He was so happy that it had all been in his head.

"Honey?" you sounded worried as he began to sob. "What's happened?"

He kissed your lips feverishly.

"I'm sorry I woke you up." he mumbled as he buried his face in the warm space between your shoulder and neck. "It was just a nightmare. I'm okay. You're okay. It's all going to be okay."

You sighed with relief, resting your head on his shoulder. "It is okay. You're right, it is. Whatever you saw," you placed a hand to his cheek and brushed your thumb along his cheekbone. "it wasn't real. I promise. It's all over. No more tears, honey. Okay?" you whispered sympathetically. "Do you need to talk about anything?"

He pulled away from you and shook his head, feeling extremely foolish with himself. He wiped his tears with his shirt's sleeve. "We should sleep. I...I have to be up for work soon."

You nodded but your facial expression was still moulded into a mask of concern. "Well...only if you're but the moment you need me, I'll be here. Got that, soldier boy?" you grinned at your nickname, hoping to lighten his mood. 

With a chuckle, he shook his head once more. That nickname never failed to make him cringe but he loved it nonetheless. "Yeah, yeah, I know." 

Slowly he pulled you both back down onto the mattress. Steve lay on his left side, wrapping his arms around your gorgeous figure. Your hands came up to rest on his chest, feeling for his heart beat. It was perfectly in sync with yours. With a small smile, you leaned forward, closing the gap between you both. Your lips met for a brief moment, both tasting of salt from the tears.

You were the first to pull away, your eyelids already drooping from exhaustion. 

The male brought a hand to your cheek, caressing your jawline. "I know, doll and I can't thank you enough."