When You Die || Not the End of the Book

Steve lazily rolled onto his side, finding himself incredibly comfy in between the sheets. He was sure that he could sleep there forever if he was given the choice.

Opening his heavy-lidded eyes, he found himself in your bed. Oh no, he couldn't be there! He was going to be late for his meeting with Sir Morgan.

He quickly sat up and scrambled out of the bed. Steve hastily got dressed, pulled on his shirt, which he clumsily buttoned up. He was making so much noise that he was surprised that you hadn't woken up.

He glanced over at you, his spouse. You were laying there with your back to him, looking so peaceful. He smiled to himself, glad that he hadn't woken you.

The blond walked around to your side of the bed, he just wanted to say goodbye before he left.

When he got to your side, he knelt on the floor before you.

You had your eyes closed and your lips parted slightly, asmall smile played upon them as you dreamed. You looked so content. Oh how he longed to know what she dreamed about.

"(Y/N), I'm going to work now." he muttered to you. When you failed to reply, Steve chuckled. Ever the deep sleeper. "(Y/N)..." he whispered again.

Nothing.

Realising you were metaphorically dead to the world, Steve reached up and placed a gentle kiss upon your jaw.

That was when he noticed how cold your skin was, unusually cold. Now that he truly looked at you, he realised that you weren't breathing. There was no sign of life. You normally warm skin was cooling.

"(Y/N)?" your husband attempted to shake you awake but you remained unmoving.

There was nothing metaphorical about your stillness, for there was no life in your body.

"(Y/N)," he cupped your face in his hands. "no..." he gasped in realisation. "No, no, no, no."

He moved to sit on the edge of the bed. Pulling you into his arms, Steve began cradling you, tears pouring down his cheeks. "Come on, sweetheart. Wake up. It's time to wake up. Open your eyes. Please?" he begged.

Your lover's body shook with sobs, pleads leaving his sumptous lips, in hope that it was all just a terrible dream but it wasn't, he wasn't going to suddenly wake up. Just like you weren't either.

"Don't leave me. I'm begging you now, sweetheart. You can't leave me. What about Diana? You can't leave her. This...this is going to break her, (Y/N) and you don't want to hurt her, do you? So come on, wake up. Enough is enough. I need you back. Wake up." he held you closer and buried his face in the spot between your neck and shoulder. "Wake up." he whined like a wounded animal. "I love you..."