When He's With You Until His Dying Breath +12K

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to heIIhounds! I hope you enjoy this angsty chapter. :)

I have attached a song that I feel truly compliments the chapter. 

And also, 12K?! That's insane. I cannot even comprehend my emotions right now. Thank you.  

Until next time!

****

The Fire was quickly consuming the building with it's orange tongues of destruction, leaving a trail of ash and soot in it's wake. It was clear who had started the arson, the enemy. They were trying to smoke Steve out of the safe house where you and he had been resting for the night, before travelling to the official army base. 

It was fair to say that you were frightened- frightened and desperately trying not to show it. 

You were currently hiding in a cupboard with your lover but alas, you were were trapped by the flames and by the soldiers that were scouting the house.  

A steady stream of smoke gradually filled the small space and soon it became increasingly harder to breathe.  

You held on tightly to your soldier lover, your breathing laboured as you tried to stay conscious. The smoke was starting to get to your. Your lungs felt heavy and filled to the brim with ash.

Just in the distance, you could hear the rescue team outside, attempting to battle their way through a group of flame-throwing soldiers. You were grateful that they were at least trying to save you both but you knew that it would be in vain. Yours and Steve's time was nearly up. You only had minutes left.

You lethargically lifted your gaze  to the face of the man you had grown to love. They had only been together for a short time and yet, was it really going to end like this? Stuck in a closed space until they were overcome by the fumes?   

Sensing your eyes looking at him he mouthed the words, 'I'm sorry'. 

You shook your head, there was no need for him to apologise, he hadn't been the one to start the fire. 

Steve wrapped his arms tighter around you, frightened about what was going to happen next. He leaned in close to your ear, so that you could hear his rasping whispers. "I'm so sorry that I got you caught up in this mess." he turned away to cough, more polluted air filled his dying lungs. "You were right, home would have been safer."

You turned your head towards him, staring into his beautiful sea blue eyes, then you leaned in close to him, so that he could hear you whisper back. "But that's not where you are."

You pulled back slightly, carefully watching his expression. He looked so defeated, so broken, so sad. The sight broke your heart. You decided that you did not want that expression on his face to be the last thing you ever saw. You both deserved a better, less pitiful ending.

You stood on tiptoes so that you could reach his lips without him having to lean slightly. And then, you kissed him with last of your energy. You wanted to waste your last moments kissing the man you adored and the man you wished you could have had longer with. Yet, you felt content, most people searched for years trying to find 'the one' but you had found yours. You had found him. You thanked God for that.

As everything became hazy, you were vaguely aware of arms around your body and his lips no longer on yours but whispering those precious words, "I love you, (Y/N + Y/L/N)."

Your vision slowly faded but you were sure that you were smiling and despite everything, you were sure that he was too. 

"Steve Trevor, I-"