When He Returns From War

A/N: WONDER WOMAN SPOILERS AHEAD. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I wrote this a while ago. It's not very good but it I thought you all might like it.

****

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

7:55 PM

It had been a week since Steve had died. 

A week since your heart had broken in two. 

You were sat in The Stork Club, at the bar, where you and Steve should have been having celebratory drink. 

 You couldn't help but notice that, the Stork Club was a beautiful, quaint place that was situated down a narrow alleyway. It was a club furnished with gold and powder pink velvet, that had a live jazz band seven nights a week and people could either sit and listen to the music or slow dance on the small floor space that had been cleared for such activities.  

You could picture the scene now. Steve would be sat next to you, sipping an an ice cold beer, laughing at something you had said.

 At first he would smile, then nudge you in the ribs and finally chuckle. 

That was how Steve laughed, every time but now, there would be no more bantering, smiling, nudging or chuckling. 

He was gone.

7:59 PM

You just wanted to drink your beer and wallow in your memories. 

Your last conversation still rang in your ears. 

He didn't even try to save himself, Steve just decided to turn himself into a martyr. 

How could he have left you? 

Answer: Steve truly didn't realise how many people he would hurt if he died.

 Whenever you tried to get some respite from the ghosts that haunted you, by sleeping. Your  mind would always transport you to happier times in your life, all of which contained Steve. Or you would dream about Steve walking into your apartment, alive and he'd comfort you, saying that it was all a decoy to trick the enemy. Except Steve was dead, it wasn't a decoy.

8:00 PM

Eight o'clock, the time that Steve had promised you that he would be at the club.

He wasn't coming though.

He was dead and you were alive and left to grieve.

Every time you  remembered your lover, it was like a knife being twisted in your gut. You would feel faint, as if you were about to black out.

Then the tears would begin. Those endless tears that seemed to be sourced from your very core at the thought of Steve. They never ceased.

The worst thing about the whole death was that they couldn't find a body, search parties were still looking through the debris, so those left behind, those still alive, couldn't even give the man they loved a decent funeral.

It was as if you weren't allowed to have a proper good bye.

"Excuse me?" someone interrupted your tortured thoughts and brought you back to the present, a present that was Steve Trevor free. "Is this seat taken?"

You remained silent, faintly aware that the person was now sitting beside you.

You turned your back further to them, why couldn't you just be left alone?

"Sorry, I don't suppose you have to time?" they asked.

You knew that you weren't going to get any peace unless you answered the person's question. He glanced at the giant clock in the room, on the opposite wall. "It's eight-oh-five."

"Oh, so I'm not too late to meet you then."

'Late to meet you', what were they talking about? Spinning on the stool you were sat on, you were about to question the stranger but before you could, you came face to face with a ghost.

Steve.

It was him. It couldn't have been a figament of your bereaved mind, there was no possibility of you fabricating an apparition so detailed and so perfect.

You found yourself unable to tear your eyes away from those familiar sea blue eyes.

Gingerly, you reached out and placed a hand on Steve's shoulder. Your shaking palm connected with the soft material of your lover's jacket.

Steve truly waa sitting beside you.

Steve was alive. Steve wasn't dead. Steve was only five minutes late.

"Steve?" you whispered in disbelief, tears already in your eyes.

There was that amazing smile that you had missed for so long. "Sorry I'm five minutes late, sweetheart."