When He's Depressed

A/N: I won't lie to you, I've had a horrible day and so, I may or may not have reflected my unhappy mood in the following chapter. My apologies.

WARNING: PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOUR DEPRESSION IS EASILY TRIGGERED AND THERE ARE FOOD-RELATED PROBLEMS IN THIS, THOUGH THEY ARE NOT LINKED TO A DISORDER EXACTLY, I JUST DON'T WANT ANYONE TO GET UPSET. YOU'RE ALL FAR TOO PRECIOUS, LITTLE CINNAMON ROLLS AND I WOULD CRY IF I UPSET YOU.

****
When a darkness takes control of your body, it can be a burden to the host, causing the vessel to need days in bed to recuperate. 

So when Steve's personal darkness- his depression- overtook his mind, it did not just affect him but all those around him too. Seeing him so withdrawn made you sick with worry, as you were still clueless to how to rid him of his demons but you were willing to try anything to make him smile again.

What made you most anxious was the lack of eating. You see Reader, eating was something that became less of a priority when a body was too exhausted when hosting the darkness. So exhausted in fact that, Steve couldn't even lift his head off of the pillow. It was a Catch 22, he needed food to be able to function. You had decided to make his favourite food, pumpkin soup. 

The once lively male was lying in bed, his eyes glassy and devoid of expression. The aroma of Pumpkin sat heavy in the air, filling his senses with it's sweet perfume.

"Steve, sweetie, did you hear what I said?" you asked him, biting your lip in concern for the man you loved.

Your voice brought his empty thoughts back to Earth. He found himself lying on his back and you, beside him and on your side, with your head propped on a hand as you leaned on an elbow. "The soup will be ready in ten minutes, do you want some?"

He nodded, his lungs ached. Talking was an effort. One he couldn't make.

You smiled, despite your inner turmoil. Moving carefully to place a tender kiss on his forehead, you sat up, slipping out of the bed. "Okay, I'll bring some in for you."

As you walked away, you were sure you heard him whisper 'thank you'.

TO BE CONTINUED...