When You Don't Love Him

A/N: Contains mild smut and angst. Heehee. 

****

For so long you had been strong, only ever nearing the edge of eternal sadness but today you had finally snapped, falling from grace and into a state of endless silence and stone-cold stares.

The eyes that had once held such a spark of excitement and wonder were now devoid of any light, they were dull. Dull like your soul. Where was your feisty spirit? Where was your strong will?

What had broken the love of Steve's life?

You continued to sit on the edge of the bed, staring continuously at the smooth, plain wall. Your facial expression was set in a permanent scowl, marring your otherwise pleasant features.

He sat beside you above the covers. Not close enough for you to be touching but just near enough in case you needed him to comfort or hold you. He waited patiently for you to break the suffocating quiet.

He mistook your silence for anger, for sorrow for undeniable pain, when in fact; it was none of these emotions. You were broken inside.

You were silent because there was no more to be said, no more tears to be spilt and no more emotions to be felt. No emotions except self-hate.

You were broken and there was no way for you to be fixed.

Steve hated himself for not noticing your path to self-destruction earlier, how could he have missed the way you were slowly dying inside?

Analysing your appearance more closely, your boyfriend tentatively reached out for your hand, hoping to pull you out of your own hellish and tormented mind.

As his skin came into contact with your ice cold and trembling hand, you flinched away, not wanting him to contract the darkness within you. Steve Trevor needed to remain untainted by your oozing self-loathing; he had already suffered enough in this lifetime. Your darkness would just bring him more bitter pain, until it finally consumed his soul, leaving him an empty shell. A shadow of himself. He too would transform into a pitiful being if he got too close to you.

His warmth sent a streak of fire throughout your body, igniting your body with pain and yearning. You shuffled further away from him, hoping the added space would halt any further attempts of comforting contact.

You yearned for his warmth, for his loving arms to be wrapped around you but Steve needed to be protected from you. You were bad news. You would be his ruining.

Tearing your eyes away from the wall for a brief moment, you made eye contact with him. The obvious distress and concern that filled his beautiful eyes was enough to make to draw you further into yourself. You just kept hurting him. No matter what you did, you always caused him pain.

The room remained uncomfortably quiet. Your boyfriend dying to say something encouraging. You, just dying.

The bed creaked as Steve stood up, the mattress only had to bow to your weight now. This was it, he had finally seen sense. He was going to leave you to suffer alone.

Suddenly you were no longer staring at the blank wall but into the crystal blue eyes of your beloved. What was he doing?

Before you could look away or figure out how to block Steve out, your hands were clasped in his, as he pulled you up to stand before him. Unsteady on your feet, he held you close to his soft yet muscular body to stop you from buckling, his warmth overwhelming your frozen senses.

You struggled in his tender hold, trying to break away from the man you didn't want to hurt. Wounded whines escaped your lips.

Still he continued to hold you, knowing that if he let go, he'd lose you forever. "Don't," he begged, his american accent filled with worry, fear and pleading. "Don't... don't push me away."