Lesson (3)

By the end of the third day, with little rest in between, they had finally finished cleaning Prince Ryu's properties.  Siri had supervised the whole servants who were in charge of cleaning her courtyard in their punishment.  She had held an iron hand over them and checked ever nook and cranny to ensure every property was cleaned immaculately.  After which, she lead the march towards Prince Ryu's courtyard and she was let in by the guards without any hesitation.  By now, everyone in Prince Ryu's courtyard who worked for him as a servant or a bodyguard had heard of their new Princess. 

When they reached the front steps of his house, Ryu had been notified by his steward and rolled out of his house as they watched his fiery wife rage on towards them. 

"Kneel."  She said as she turned around to the servants who followed her.  They kowtowed several times declaring that they deserved death, however Siri made Nurse Mi and Nurse Nancy stop kowtowing. 

"Nurse Mi and Nurse Nancy should stop kowtowing.  You have served Prince Ryu faithfully for over 20 years, you have earned your rightful place by his side, however should I see the two of you slacking off, because Queen Dowager is no longer here with us, how would you answer to her once you cross the river of death?  How would you be able to face her with your head held up high?  Now that you have been properly reprimanded, you may go back and rest for three days." 

Nurse Mi and Nurse Nancy slowly stood up, their limbs and body was stiff from all the constant cleaning.  They bowed stiffly to Siri and thanked her for her magnanimity and then the two of them left together with as much dignity as they could.  They knew they got off as lightly as they could.  Should Princess Siri ask for their life, they would have died a long time ago. 

"As for the rest of you, your life is in the hands of Prince Ryu."  She said. 

Siri turned around and walked up to him. 

"The servants that made you lose face have been properly punished with the little authority that I posses.  The rest of the punishment is up to my beloved husband."  She told him.  It was her way of letting him know that she knew how important they were to him, so she only punished them lightly.  Their lives were up to him and it was up to him to do as he saw fit.  "Your Princess Wife shall not take up more time from you and shall leave first.  You do not need to see me off, I know the way." 

Siri bowed to him then left the same way she came in.  His dark onyx eyes watched her move slowly and gracefully out of his courtyard.  Her air of elegance could be felt as she left.  She had completely taken a hold of the servants and house hold matters and forced on to them her iron clad authority without much force.  She used the group of servants who made a mistake as an example to the rest of the servants.  Warning them to do their jobs properly.  She had caught the two biggest fishes, Nurse Mi and Nurse Nancy and taught them a lesson as well, making them obey her which in turn, the others will do the same and not defy her.  By letting his Nurse Maids go earlier, she had left them off the harsher punishment, to give them face for helping raise Prince Ryu.  Letting other know that although the two of them wronged Princess Siri, they too were not above her.  They too were held responsibility for their mistake.  By letting them go, it let the other know that they still hold a high place within the Prince's household. They would no longer bully her or slight her for fearing her punishment.

Her great idea to clean all the courtyards on his property was a light punishment considering their offense.  However, seeing how she left the biggest punishment to him, told everyone that Prince Ryu and Princess Siri was a team of husband and wife.  That she was not just a wife in name only, but as his partner in life. 

"20 strokes each."  Ryu quickly and sternly said.  20 strokes with a army paddle was harsh, but it also was not light.  Because they did slight his wife on his wedding day, the rumors about his uncaring way towards his wife have run abundant.  How his servants disrespected the new Princess and how she was mistreated by him.  They had a hand in ruining his reputation and character. 

The guards who were guarding his courtyard dragged each servant to the punishment stand and one by one, the 10 of them were properly punished after three days of cleaning.  Their cries and pleas were not listened to as the punishment continued until all 10 of the servants had 20 stokes across their butts.  They were then taken to their sleeping quarters and taken care of by other servants.  They given three days to rest to take care of their injuries and the rest of the servants were held responsible to pick up the chores that the 10 servants were reserved to do.  The other servants grumbled with the extra chores, but they would rather do the extra chores than be punished by their new Princess and Prince Ryu.