Wake Up

A thick medicinal air wafted over Siri as she breathed in the healing medicine. She could hear the maids complain about how hot the room was every time they entered to add wood to the brazers. Siri could smell her husband's scent beside her and his warm arms around her. Holding her.

At first he would constantly talk to her, making promises to her, asking for her forgiveness, pleading with her. He would tell her about his plans and his day. Now, he just lays beside her and lets all the silence descend between them and suffocate them. His heart felt heavy. His thoughts frozen in time as he held his wife's cold body, praying to all the Gods that she'll wake up. Bargaining with them so he could see her liquid silver eyes again. So she could smile at him again. So she can tease him again. So she can feed him his least favorite foods and drink tea with her. So he can watch her paint and play wonderful music. So he could be by her side again. Anything, but this.

This waiting was suffocating. He hated waiting. But for his wife, he would wait forever for her. It was just that they didn't have forever.

Siri could hear Ryu's steady breathing beside her. Could feel his warmth trying to replace her coldness. She tried to open up her eyes, but it felt so heavy. She tried to speak, but no one could hear her. Her mouth wouldn't open. She was living in perpetual hell.

....

"Princess, I think it's time for you to wake up. Prince Ryu is not himself." Nurse Nancy said. "What you saw at the lake, let him explain. He would never be unfaithful to you. He loves you. You must believe me, I raised him. Wake up. Please."

....

"Princess, today the servants were talking about you. Asking if there was anything they could do to help you wake up sooner." Rose said as she wiped Siri down with a wet towel. "Ha! As if they know anything about medicine and healing. If they want to help you they should have treated you better in the first place! Those people once regarded you as a sore eye and disrespected you and before long, they all realize just how amazing you are....and now they say they are worried about you... as if they know anything about you... as if they would know you better than Gilldy, Meada or me...your Rose is worried you'll forget us again.... Please wake up...."

....

"I never really liked taking." Meada said softly. "I always prefered the silence. You never thought this side of me was strange, nore treated me differently because of it. Whenever you painted, you always only wanted me or Gilldy to be by your side because Rose could never be quiet...."

Meada laughed bittersweetly at the memories. "Rose doesn't talk anymore...so here I am...talking... asking you, Princess... Please wake up."

....

"Princess." Steward Mo said. "Please forgive this servant for not taking better care of you. You see, it's the Prince... he..."

Steward Mo looked at the pale white woman who seemed like she hardly breathed. "He needs you."

....

When Siri opened her eyes, it was to the sounds of men fighting. The clash of swords, the screams of men and women getting hurt and dying. Siri's heart panicked. She slowly pulled herself to sit up. It took her a while, but when she did, she opened the curtains to her bed. There was another wheelchair next to her bed. It looked newly built as the wood shined and glistened in the day. It was smaller than Ryu's wheelchair and there was a white blanket hanging over the side. Siri pulled herself into the wheelchair and sat still as she gathered her strength again.

How many days she was in a coma, she didn't know, she was thirsty and hungry, but everything has to wait. People were fighting and dying. She had to go see what was happening.

Slowly Siri rolled up to the window that was slightly open to let the sun in. Siri looked outside at the courtyard as Ryu's guards in black fought off men who wore green. There were a lot more men in green on the floor, but the number of green men kept coming. As if it there was an endless army at their gates.

Siri's eyes gazed around her courtyard trying to find her husband. From one window to the next she would crack open the curtains enough so a just a small sliver of light would come through before her worried eyes searched for him. From one side of the room to the other, she looked through and finally found him.

Ryu was no longer in his wheelchair, he was fighting and he looked magnificent. His power and strength was so controlled that he looked like a God playing with men. Who ever got in his way they would immediately fall down to the ground, a life taken before they would even notice that they never stood a chance.

The glare of the shining blades of the swords reflected back, like a sea of water reflecting back against the sun. The movements wild and fierce as they were dyed red with blood.

Siri kept her eyes on her husband as he fought. The whole time, she couldn't take her eyes away from him. He was too mesmerizing. She finally saw how strong and powerful he was, how he was able to achieve so much at such a young age. Why men wanted to be him and why women wanted to fuck him.

Soon there was a loud blaring sound of a horn and the men in green started retreating. But instead of letting one person go, Ryu's guards doubled their efforts and killed them without mercy. Sending a message. If they thought it was so easy to come inside Prince Ryu's residence, then it'll be harder to leave. No one can leave without Prince Ryu permission. Those who decided to run was shot down with arrows, stabbed through the back with swords or had their legs cut off completely.

The gruesome scene in front of her unfolded and she couldn't do anything, but watch as more men in green died like flies. They were like cattle at a slaughter house. One way in, no way out.

Siri had already left the master bedroom, making her way down the empty and quiet house. She took the ramp downstairs and looked around for anyone who could tell her what was going on. When she reached the front door she pulled it open. She sat back as everyone stopped moving when they saw her.

The guards were already cleaning up the dead bodies while others were helping their comrades go to the makeshift hospital.

Siri stared at everyone as they all stared back at Siri. Immediately they all dropped to one knee and bowed their head. And like a wave, each guard knelt and bowed towards Siri.

Siri was too speechless and too surprise at their actions, why would they pledge themselves to her? She didn't do anything.

Her eye caught her husband flying over the black sea of guards as he made his way towards her. Her liquid silver eyes met his dark onyx eyes and they looked happy and relieved. The moment he landed he embraced her in his arms. Hugging her tightly to his body, not caring if he dirtied her clothing with blood and dirt.

Siri's arms slowly came around to hug him. Her heart was soaring as it quickly filled with love. She was relieved to see him still breathing.

"Are you hurt?" Siri asked. Ryu didn't let her go from their embrace. His trembling hands wouldn't let him. He was afraid that it'll all be a dream if he let her go.

"No." Ryu said as he smelled her intoxicating scent.

"Good." Siri said as she tried to pull back, but couldn't.

"Please." Ryu said as his voice cracked. As if he was uncertain if she would let him hold her ever again. "Just let me hold you for a while longer."

"Em." Siri said as she squeezed him harder into her. As if her puny strength would make a difference.

"The King is dead. The Crown Prince is in a coma. Prince Bai is in prison for killing Prince Changming. Concubine Nina is in prison for killing King Cai and attempting to kill Queen Yuna. I have Queen Yuna surrounded with Crown Prince Morgan in her courtyard. These men are the last men who were loyal towards Crown Prince Morgan and Queen Yuna. The throne is mine, my Queen." Ryu said as he finally pulled back to look at her. He had stains all over his face and clothes. He looked like the devil himself. As his wild adrenaline raged through his body making his aura more dangerous and scary. His jaws kept locking, wanting to say more and yet the words he wanted to say couldn't come out. "Today makes the first anniversary of our marriage. Of our contract of One Year. Do you still want to leave or stay and be my Queen?"