Mia

Because Siri became Queen, she was suddenly thrown into the position without really know what she was suppose to be doing.  Although she trained all her life to be in this position, now that she was here she didn't know what to do.  Without the help of Nurse Nancy, Nurse Mi and Steward Mo, she would not have grasped just how much networking she had to do. 

Along with their help, she was able to set up several tea parties to celebrate every little thing, from the reconstruction of a pavilion to the blooming of fall flowers in the flower garden.  At each party, she was challenged at every turn, causing her to have headaches by the end of the party.  Maidens and their Mothers wanted to be married into the royal family because they thought it would make their family more regal. 

And at every turn Siri was able to deflect their offense, but it was wearing her down.  At one such occasion, Anyah and Huifang, was at it again, with who was better at guzheng and Siri was once again stuck in the middle. 

The both of them had just gotten done playing when everyone turned towards Siri for her judgement. 

"If this Queen doesn't know any better, this Queen would think that the two of you are showing off your talents a little too much don't you think?"  Siri said softly chided them as she set down the teacup.  "Both of you Ladies are trying to gain more nority so this Queen can remember you and take more rewards from my stores.  Good!  This Queen remembers your wonderful talents. This Queen shall reward the both of you. Two sets of hair pins, two sets of jade rings and a bolt of fur."

Siri could see through their little games they played.  They wanted her to choose one of them and cause a disharmony between their house and Ryu, which in turn would cause a disharmony between Ryu and Siri.  By complementing them she raise up their ego and their mother's ego, making them think she was proud of them.  By rewarding them, she would avoid choosing who was better than the other.

The two girls faces fell again, yet they bowed to Siri thanking her for her magnanimity then sitting back down. 

Lady Mia had been present at all of the events, but kept to herself.   Her eyes stayed on Queen Siri the whole time.  Not wanting to waste a moment of time she had with Queen Siri.  When they took a tour around the garden, Mia found herself behind Queen Siri.  Everything about her Queen was beautiful, from her head to her toes, from each hair ornament to how her clothes moved to her shoes.  Even the crushed grass underneath her foot was beautiful. 

It was because she stayed so close to Siri and was paying attention to her that she saw it first. 

An assassin who was dressed as a maid made her way towards Queen Siri.  She was slick, she waited until everyone was looking at the flowers and not the Queen before she made her move. 

Mia saw the assassination in slow motion.  As if she couldn't move fast enough to save her Queen.  She thought she was too far away, but suddenly everything moved so fast and she was able to hug her Queen as she felt the dagger enter her body. 

"My Queen."  Mia said as she felt her legs to start to go numb.  "This is all I can do to help you, forgive me."

These few sentences was between the two of them, so private that it moved Siri's heart while the world around them went into chaos.  Her guards came to bring order to the situation, but it was Lady Mia and her shadow guards who help save her.  Mia, who took the dagger in her place and her shadow guards, who was able to capture the assassin. 

"Royal Doctor!"  Siri shouted as she held the dying girl in her hands.  Siri didn't bring her doctor's bag, nor did she bring any medicine on her.  All she could do is try to stop the bleeding.  She knew not to pull the dagger out for it could have hit a major artery.  "Jonas.  Jonas.  Carry her.  Carry her to the nearest building.  Gilldy, go get the Royal Doctor, quickly everyone." 

Forgetting about her other guests, she leaves with Jonas and her servants to the nearest building.  They laid her down on her stomach as the royal doctor was summoned.  Lady Mia's mother could be heard crying as she was escorted in.  She ran to Mia's side and cried as her daughter looked pale and her hand was cold. 

When the royal doctor came, everyone was forced to go to the other room.  Even Siri.  No one, but a slecet few was suppose to know that she knew medicine. 

"Queen Siri, let us help you change your clothing.  It is stained with blood."  Meada softly said to bring her back to the present.  Siri had been sitting at the table without moving for the past half hour with a uncontrollable mother who kept crying. 

"Lady Soona, dry your tears."  Siri tried to comfort her.  "This Queen will remember Lady Mia's heroic efforts.  The royal doctor has not come out yet.  Let us keep our hopes up that your daughter will make it though." 

Soon the announcement of King Ryu came.  His eyes searched for his wife who was still wearing the blood stained clothes.  He could finally rest his heart when he finally sees that she is okay.  As everyone bows, Ryu ignores them and takes Siri in his arms, needing to hold her close to him.  To make sure she didn't float away.

They pulled apart when the royal doctor came through the doors wiping his forehead. He looked at King Ryu before he shook his head side to side.

"There was too much blood loss. The dagger lacerated several organs, there is nothing I can do." Doctor Hue said.

Lady Soona cried out louder at his words. Her beautiful daughter was dying in front of her and there was nothing she could do.

"Lady Mia does not have much time left. She is asking for you Queen Siri."

Siri pulled away from Ryu to go into the room, but Ryu pulled her right back into his arms. He walked into the room with Siri and the two of them were left alone with Siri's savior.

Siri wuickly checked over Mia's injuries and she looked at Ryu and shook her head no. They were too late to help her. All they could do is watch the young woman die.

"My Queen." Mia said as she felt Siri touch her back. "There is something I must confess."