Chapter 11: Jamais

*June 1999*

*June 1999*

Nicholas' Pov

It's been a month since the incident. The prince had ordered us to stay to atleast keep Princess Navii safe.

The prince didn't saw the killer in Switzerland. Though, he vowed to protect his sister. I could never tell him. I knew that he was very desperate in finding the killer. But without any evidence yet, it wouldn't really fit the puzzle.

It was already June and it's almost their birthday. I was always keeping in contact with Anne to atleast know Princess Navii's situation.

She told me that the earl wooed her to keep it a secret from her brother. It's the least we could do. I felt like she was hiding something from us. It's like she knew something we didn't.

Anne tried to ask me what the secret was but I didn't tell. Quincy, Princess Navii and I had promised to keep our mouths shut. I do not want Brice or Anne knowing what we know.

The earl was right. We had no evidence whatsoever that he was the suspect. Who knows how many of them are out there.

I tried talking to the prince but I couldn't even found him. It's like he disappears in mid air.

I saw Anne walking downstairs so I asked her.

"Anne, do you know where the lord is?"

"No, I haven't seen him. Even if I did see him, he would just disappear every time I chase him," Anne said to me as she shrugs.

I quickly thought of the places where he could be. There was always a place he would always visit though. My favorite place as well.

The Garden.

I walked outside and saw nothing but a bunch of bushes and roses. Where exactly could he be? It's not like he could be hiding in the bushes. That's preposterous.

I then saw a dagger coming to me in a fast motion but I quickly caught it. I looked around and saw the someone at a tree.

"Who are you?" I asked as he quickly jumps down. I noticed him very quickly and widen my eyes.

"Nicholas?!"

"My lord?" I asked him, confused and shocked.

Since when did he learn to do that?

I quickly approached him and give him his dagger back. He grabbed it from my hands and thanked me.

"My, my, since when did you learn that my lord?" I asked him with a smirk.

He looks at me and gave me a smile.

"I would always throw darts and cards on a target with my father when I was a child," He quickly shuts his mouth as it reminded him of his father.

If only I could tell you my lord. Though, I can't. You would be downgrading your reputation as a prince if you suddenly barge in on a case without evidence.

Or, get killed by Augustus before even barging in to the problem.

"Nicholas? Nicholas!" I quickly snapped out of my thoughts as tbe prince snap his fingers in front of me.

"Do you wanna head inside now? It's about to rain," the prince quickly buttons his royal clothes and mentions me over.

I followed him and quickly saw Quincy in the kitchen, trying to hide her bandaged arm.

"What the? Quincy, where did you get that?" I saw the prince approaching Quincy.

This can't be good. I quickly went to check as Quincy tried to make some excuses.

"My lord, I was just-"

"Don't lie to me,"

"I'm not lying my lor-"

"You're still lying,"

"My lord, please let me ex-"

"You're making up excuses again, aren't you?" The lord said as he crosses his arms, displeased with Quincy's behavior.

"I did it, my lord," I said, defending Quincy.

The prince turned around and stared at me. I tried not to budge and kept a serious face on.

"How?"

"I was about to hit a target but Quincy suddenly walked into the scene and got hit by my dagger. I'm truly sorry your highness,"

He looked at me, trying to find out if I was lying. If he could read emotions really carefuly, I'd be forced to tell the truth.

Thankfully, he gave in. He sighed and nodded.

"Alright," he said as he walks to his chair and sat. I bowed and saw my lord walking down the stairs.

"There you are! I've been looking for you Nicholas," I quickly scoffed and Brice noticed my reaction.

"Aren't you being a little too harsh for Nicholas? Just give him a day off for damn sake!" I saw him scoffed and looked at me.

"Fine, I'll think about it," I saw my lord sitting on one of the chairs and Brice looked at him sternly.

"Do you know?"

"Know what?"

"Nothing," Prince Brice quickly disregarded his question.

He probably had a feeling that Augustus can't be trusted. I quickly sighed in relief as the prince stood up and walked away and went upstairs.

If he knew the situation we got into, he'd probably kill the earl right before he could even speak.

I walked a few steps to follow the prince then I heard the earl talking to me.

"Keep your mouth shut, will you?" The lord told me as he smirks.

This earl, I swear. If we only have an evidence against you, I won't be too cocky. I know I'm betraying him but I couldn't let the royal family get killed and the throne being handed to my lord.

I couldn't see this country suffering on his hands.

So, I gave him back a smirk as he looks at me shocked. He quickly stood up and slammed his hands on the table.

"Essaie un peu, pour voir!" I quickly laughed as he glared daggers at me.

"Essaie-moi," I said as I saw him getting a dagger and threw it at me.

It wasn't that fast so I easily caught it. In fact, it was just like a beginner throw.

"You should work at your aiming my lord," I said as I gave him back the dagger by throwing it to the table next to his hands.

"Je ne vous inclinerai jamais vers vous"