Chapter 50: The Final Reign of Thy Majesty

N I C H O L A S

The ride back home was nerve-wrecking. I knew that Anne wasn't really happy about the news.

To be honest, we were shocked to hear all about it. From the last letter that Brice had sent me, I knew that there was something wrong about it.

But I hadn't expected it to be this big.

Right now, we were in the carriage - a ride back to the castle. Anne's hands kept on shaking as she looks out the window.

To help her a bit, I tried opening up random conversations but she doesn't seem quite up to it.

I know that she had a longer bond with Brice so distracting her from the issue was something that I could never accomplish.

"Do you think that they'll be alright?"

"I'm sure that the two will be okay, milady. This is Brice and Azaila that we're talking about."

"I'm just worried that something bad might happen to them."

I remained silent after that. My lips went dry and I was thinking if I should be honest or lie to her about it.

There was no way that I'd make her panic. But after that letter we received from Brice, I knew that there was something bad that was going to happen.

As the carriage stopped right in front of the castle, my heart almost stopped and I could feel myself shivering.

When the horses stopped and the door had opened, we couldn't hear any single noise coming from the castle. The aura wasn't very welcoming at all and both of us could feel it.

If they were here, Navii or Azaila would've welcomed us already. The leaves from the tress had already fell on the ground, the flowers also left scattered on the gravel pathway.

It was too quiet, no birds, no music, nothing. Not even Navii shooting a gun broke the silence.

"Why is it so quiet? Are they all asleep?"

"I don't know, milady."

Going inside was already making her nervous. To be honest, there was a slight discomfort when my footsteps echoed on the dirty tiles of the vast castle.

There were no murmurs or anything that could indicate that there were people there.

"Where are they?" Anne gave me a sideward glance, waiting for a response. But, I didn't really know how to reply to that. My eyes just wandered around, noticing that no one was actually home.

"They should be here, milady," I muttered under my breath as Anne quickly went to the kitchen, calling out his bestfriend's name.

"Brice?" She then peeked in as I walked upstairs, slowly and silently as I could. When I noticed that one of the rooms were open, I did not hesitate to go into it. There, I saw my master holding a cane as his bandaged leg came into my vision.

"My lord?" I called out as he finally faced me, a frown on his face was evident as soon as he saw me. Tapping his cane on the floor, he struggled to walk towards to the bed and sat there.

"Master? Are you-" He quickly cuts me off by laughing. His hands covered his face and acted like I had said something funny. But the odd thing was, I didn't.

"How long have you been a traitor?"

Those were the words that came from his lips as my eyebrows furrowed at this. "What are you-"

His eyes then darted to me, almost killing me on the spot by how deathly it looked. The tone of his voice was venomous as he threw the cane towards me in anger, though I had moved out of the way before it could hit me. "I saved your life and this is how you repay me."