Chapter 47: Chaos

B R I C E

From the very beginning, I knew that Augustus had pure hate and greed wrapped around his heart.

It felt like the world was yelling at me to stop being the kind person that I was and show the earl my true colors as a Prince.

But I withheld that to ensure that he'll feel welcome in my castle.

And now, I'm regretting it already.

Azaila looked at me as I crossed my arms, looking at the window to watch my sister practicing her gun once again.

Lately, she had been getting better at aiming, which was already a good sign. That already means that she could protect herself from any danger.

Right now, I couldn't read Augustus' mind. It seemed like he was still choosing from the two of us.

He had been watching Azaila and she would sometimes notice him. She warns me every time since it already bothered her.

Augustus barely glances at me though - which was a very weird notion considering that we were both royals and hating each other at this point.

Sitting on my bed, Azaila then approaches me and massaged my shoulders. "Brice, you shouldn't stress yourself about this."

"We can handle the situation," she then adds before I wiped the sweat around my forehead and brushed my fingers to fix my unkempt hair.

I can't just let this happen. There is still something inside me that wants to protect Azaila at all cost - if she really was the target of that maniac.

Judging by the stares he was giving her, he was most focused on her - probably studying her every movement.

And even if Azaila knows self-defense, I can't help but feel the worry rising up.

There are a lot of skilled people that he could hire and no hesitation whatsoever will come to them when they face Azaila.

I don't want to repeat the Nova incident all over again. Killing another person won't be a great situation to be stuck in.

My hands trembled. This was the third time I had been like this.

"Brice," Azaila called me, cutting me from my thoughts. "Are you alright?"

"I'm...thinking." There was no other words that came out from my mouth after that statement.

How can I explain this to her?

That our lives are already in danger and I fear that I wasn't Augustus' target all along

"Brice, there's no need to panic." She tried to caress my shoulders but I just moved myself away from her and pushed her hands off.

Her frown grew as I sighed loudly, hiding my face with his hands.

Taking another glance at the window, I knew that Nicholas and Anne should be aware of what was happening here in London.

I can't just take any risks.

If I don't make a move now, something terrible might happen and I'll just regret doing nothing.

Before I could even walk to my desk, Azaila went towards the balcony to look outside - only to hear a loud gunshot.

Out of instinct, I ran and caught her in my arms as soon as she fell down and reached for her leg.

"Brice! My leg..." she then trailed off as another gunshot rang.

But this time, it wasn't the same sound as the first. Luckily, it wasn't going towards us.