Chapter 26: Calming Him Down

Azaila's Pov

"Brice, calm down," I said as I tried to reach out for him but he quickly walks much faster. "Brice!" I shouted and he quickly turned around.

"What?!" He snapped at me, making me jump in shock while looking away. I never actually saw this side of him, being furious and all. His gaze quickly soften as he approaches me, his arms wide.

I quickly ran to him, hugging him as he calms down a bit. I buried my face in his chest. I knew that being secretive to your brother was quite a sibling problem and Brice, being overprotective to Navii, doesn't really help the situation.

"I-I'm sorry for snapping at you. You're not really involved in this mess," he said as he made me look at him. His eyes were full of betrayal and hatred. "Are you?" He quickly asked as I looked down.

Should I tell him? No. He's quite angry at this point and being stressed isn't the best option for now.

I quickly shook my head and he sighed in relief. He gave me a peck on the lips as he walks to his room, leaving me. I blinked and he quickly opened the door. Before he went in, he looked at me, asking, "Are you coming with me or not?" I stood there, still frozen from my thoughts.

I don't even know what I was thinking at this point. All I know is that I was recalling what happened at the kitchen. What if Augustus saw me with Brice? I am going to be so dead if he would. I just hope not.

Before I knew it, I was carried bridal style and I quickly drifted off my thoughts, focusing on the reality. Brice was carrying me, laying me down on his bed as he takes off his shoes and lay down beside me.

"Why won't she tell me? Azi, what did I do wrong?" He asks me as he looks at me. I quickly shook my head, patting him on the shoulder. "You did nothing wrong Brice," I said as he looks at the bed.

"Then, why is she scared enough to tell me the truth?" He said as I breathe deeply. "She's just panicking Brice. She doesn't want anyone to get hurt. Especially her loved ones," I said as he nodded.

"Are you involved in this mess too?" He asks so suddenly, making me gasp. He was still looking at me as I shook my head no. "No! Why would I be involved?" I said, trying to lie.

"Then why were you trying to kill me in the first place Azaila?" He said as I looked at him, trying not to cry. Of course, Augustus ordered me to. I never really thought of falling in love with him. That was strictly against our deal.

"I-Brice..."

"You were ordered, am I right?"

"Technically, I'm-"

"So, you were involved," he said as he wipes his face in distress. All I could do was to apologize. "Brice, I'm sorry. I was ordered to kill you and hide your body from the others. I never actually thought that I would fall in love with you," I said, crying a bit. He looked at me and scoffed.

"Neither did I," he said as he quickly storms off, leaving me in his room. Alone.

Brice's Pov

I quickly went outside and walked towards to the garden. I couldn't see any Augustus so I quickly crouched under a tree, thinking about these past few days.

How? Why? When?

How did this happen? Why me? When will this stop? Those were the three questions that kept lingering my mind.

I wasn't stupid. I wasn't dumb. I exactly knew who ordered them to kill me. It was that oblivious already.

There was just six of us here in this castle. Quincy is my maid, Nicholas is Augustus' butler. Those two were partners in crime. They would always protect me and my sister. Azaila was my fiancé. Not yet but soon. She didn't really want to kill me.

I know we had met for just a few days but her attitude was very open. Very nice and welcoming.

Navii is just my sister. She could never hurt a soul. Well except for Nova whom she accidentally pointed the gun and also accidentally pulled the trigger. She was just a little kid who is needed to be taught and protected.

Augustus, on the other hand, was the suspect. Of course, every time an accident happens, he would always fled the scene. He was nowhere near us.

When Nicholas was shot, he wasn't there. When Nova appeared, he wasn't there. When we're at the dining table, arguing, he wasn't there.

I know that I'm not really the best at guessing but I had a feeling he was playing a game on us. Russian Roulette.

With a twist.

It depends who shall live.

And who shall die.

I can't really kill him or think of anything that would ruin his reputation as an earl. I'm a prince for damn sake. Also, if I do harm him, my parents would be angry at me even if they were long gone. I would be a dishonor.

Navii doesn't even want the earl to get hurt in the first place. She loves him too much. Augustus isn't even telling me to break the engagement. Does he really want to marry my sister or use her as a puppet? Whatever he wants, I wouldn't let him do that.

I quickly stood up, going upstairs and inside my room. I saw Azaila hugging herself, shivering as tears run down her face. I closed the door and she quickly flinches, not even daring to look at me.

"Hey," I said as she sobs. I quickly lay down next to her, hugging her from the back. She turns around, looking at me with her grayish to greenish eyes as tears were marked on her face.

I quickly wiped them away as she shakily hugs me. "Do you hate me Brice? I know you're a bit agitated to find out that I was ordered to kill you. Of course, you already knew that for the last few days but you're still upset about it. It's okay if-" I quickly interrupted her with a kiss and then pulled away a minute later.

"Just stop rambling and kiss me," I said as I gave her another peck on her lips and she quickly kissed back. It took us a bit longer than the last one but I still managed to hold my breath and kiss her.

We pulled away, smiling. "So, does that mean we're still-"

"Yes. I didn't even say or told anything about us breaking up, did I? I didn't even thought of doing that on the first place," I said as I kissed her forehead.