NEW STORY!

Standalone novel. Not related to my previous books.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Evan's Rose

The last time I came here the hall had been a light shade of crème. Now it was a deep shade of golden giving it a royal feel. The reflection of the lights from the chandelier above made this hall glow like the moon had appeared here. It was beautifully decorated and every corner screamed money and elegance. It was what the Carter's always did. Today was no exception, after all it was Mr. Kennedy Carter's 75th birthday.

Mr. Kennedy Carter was the founder of Carter Industries. Back when he was in his forties he started Carter Industries as a small industry. Later on when he retired, the company was passed to his son Henry Carter. During the period of Henry Carter, the company reached new heights. It became popular all over the globe and was known as the best of its kind. Henry Carter retired two years ago and now the Company was run by its CEO, Evan carter, eldest son of Henry Carter. From the past three years I had been working as a personal assistant to Evan Carter.

The company under the hands of Evan Carter was making massive profits and last year he was awarded as the best businessman of the year. It was a proud moment for his grandfather and father. The business practically ran in their bloods.

"Ah, Rose, you look lovely." I turned around in the direction of the voice calling my name. Laura Carter, wife of Henry Carter and Evan Carter's stepmother came walking towards me sporting an emerald green gown. She looked absolutely stunning and her makeup and hair was done exceptionally. If I didn't know I'd guess her age to be in her thirties. She was the true definition of timeless beauty.

"Thank You Laura. You look stunning yourselves." I smiled back and she pressed her cheeks to my cheeks welcoming me in. I was wearing a red gown and my hair was pinned up in an updo.

We exchanged pleasantries and just then I saw the birthday boy himself. Kennedy Carter looked as healthy as ever in a black suit with grey hair. I excused myself and went to hand him a bouquet and a present. Normally I would give only a present but both me and Kennedy Carter had one thing in common that was our love for flowers. It could be something to do with my name:Rose.

"Happy Birthday grandpa." I said cheerfully to him. His eyes lit up seeing me and he immediately enveloped me in an embrace. The old man absolutely adored me and treated me as his own grandchild.

"Thank you my favorite Grandchild. Oh and look at this beautiful flowers. Just like you Rose." He laughed and I laughed along with him. Kennedy Carter's wife died around twenty years ago. Since then he had busied himself with social events and charity works. He also helped the less fortunate children of the society and I absolutely loved that about him. Being growing up a strict Catholic I was always taught to be generous towards others and help the less fortunate part of the society.

"Grandpa, you remember I spoke to you about the child that I met at Church previous Sunday. Poor kid has no family and I was thinking that why not admit him to one of your child care homes. He'd get a family there. "

"Of course of course. I'll make arrangements for him to be taken care of. Sometimes I wonder that if there were a few more kind souls like you then the world would have been such a good place." He said with a sigh. I gave him a smile and replied, "No grandpa, its you who is helping the poor and the sick, not me, so you are a kind soul." He patted my shoulder and smiled at me.

"Where is Evan? I haven't seen him the entire time? I hope he doesn't ditch his old man today. " He said chuckling to himself.

"Of course not, he would be here anytime soon. I know that even if he doesn't say anything he still idolizes you and loves you. Even you know that Grandpa." Evan Carter and Kennedy Carter were extremely close. Evan was more closer to his grandfather than to his own father. He absolutely adored him.

"That boy. Anyways you go enjoy the party. I'll meet some of my friends over there." He pointed towards a group of similarly aged people to him. I nodded and left in search of my colleagues. I spotted them near the drinks counter. Making my way towards them I waved to all of them.

"Ah man, I just loved these parties. Hey! Rosaline, you look beautiful." Adrian, one of my office colleagues commented. I thanked him for the compliment. I sat besides Claire, my best friend who also worked with me in the office. I met Claire around two and a half years ago. She is fun loving, party lover and a bubbly girl. I on the other hand, was very shy and avoided going to parties. Being growing up with strict parents I was always taught to be a good girl. Don't get me wrong, outgoing people are fun but I wasn't one of them. I was more of the domestic people and anyways I never had any interest in all the clubs and alcohol and wearing short dresses. I was just uncomfortable in them and my wardrobe consisted of long skirts, jeans and tops and not shorts and tank tops. Neither was it allowed in my home nor I was interested in wearing them. My parents taught me and my sister to follow the path of God and serve him. And that's what I intend on doing.

We were having a good time there. We all were laughing at one of the stories told by Adrian. He was the funny guy and friendly person. He had a charming personality and it was one of his best attributes. The crowd suddenly stopped in their conversations and all the glances went in the direction of the entrance. I followed their gaze and saw that Evan Carter had entered. He looked as handsome as ever with his blue eyes and dark brown hair. His perfectly sculpted jaw and face structure and a little stubble on his face gave him a God-like beauty. With a height of 6'2 he stepped in a black Armani. He just looked better and better the each time. He'd wear a rag and still look good, he looked that good. He spread his arm at the back and a beautiful brunette, that seemed familiar took his hand and they both walked hand in hand. My heart instantly broke. I remembered her as a super model from one of the magazines. She was wearing a black dress with pearls studded on the neckline. She was beautiful. All pair of eyes went towards them, both men and women.

"Ah! What a couple! Don't they look beautiful together?" Laura Carter said from besides me. I didn't even smile this time. She knew how much it hurt me to see them together. Every time I saw Evan with another woman I wished it was me. I loved him and she knew it. She always did that. Every time I'd see Evan with another woman, I told my heart that it was just a phase, it was just bad luck. I kept telling myself that someday it would be me and Evan walking hand in hand. But I knew that I was just fooling myself.

Tears made their ways in my eyes. I quickly dabbed them with a tissue so that nobody would see them. I hated that I had to pretend. I hated that I couldn't be with Evan. I loved him more than I had ever loved someone. I knew that, Laura knew that, everyone in the Carter family knew that, even Evan knew that. It wasn't the first time he had brought another woman with him. I knew that, I also knew that by now I should have stopped expecting him to be with me but I simply couldn't. Each time it hurt just as much as the first time if not more.

I had the full right to be hurt because he is my husband and I am his wife. I am Rosaline Carter, Evan's Rose.

---*-*-*---

If you are interested in my new story 'Evans Rose' then you should definitely check it out. Just go to my profile page or on my wall and you'll see the link.

Edit: Evan's Rose has been taken down.

Till then Vote, Comment & Share

- MissR12.